Career as an Officer

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by sa80cal, Feb 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all tried this on another forum but no one answered,

im 14 and wanting to become a graduate officer in the paras so can anybody tell me what selection is like, AOSB, getting a sponsor, interviews stuff like that.

cheers guys :thumleft:

2. Best off asking in here mate.
  3. Well sa80cal,

I am sorry that no-one answered your last question. I guess they might have found it too difficult - as I have found. If you want to be " a graduate officer", you are at least 8 years away from your goal, and many things can happen along the way.

The best task for you now, is to pass your GCSEs to a good standard. I suggest 5 good A or B grades minimum. Join your local ACF unit, if you have one. If not, try the RAF, Naval or Boy Scouts. All will give you the necessary background in thinking for yourself and understanding that a life in uniform is about other people.

Then A Levels, again to a good standard, and then a good degree from a good university, by which time you might also have joined the UOTC or the TA. RCB (in old money) and Sandhurst will then be a doddle!

Good Luck,

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Can I also suggest that you change your Avatar, as some of the real Paras on here are likely to object to it and give you a hard time!

Good advice there Litotes!!
  5. You're 14 and want to be a Para?
  6. 14 and your life's mapped out. That is genuinely impressive. Let us know how it all turns out.

I'm glad I didnt know what I wanted to do with my life when I was 14. Some of the most interesting people I know are well over 30 and still don't know what they want to do with their lives. Me, I'm not sure what I'll be doing next week or where I'll be, let alone in 8 years time.

8. whats wrong with that?

9. Anyway cheers guys, greatly apprieciated ill go and post the question on the officers board (for the 3rd time) and see what comments i get.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

sa80 - don't post - read!

The reason you have probably not had much of a response is that your questions have been asked and answered dozens of times before. There are several threads and stickies on this subject in the Officers board. Read them and most of your questions will be answered.

11. Ha ha, yes. As I typed I had a strange feeling that I had heard this before.