Care and maintenance...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by putteesinmyhands, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I came home to find that the wife has had a go at replacing two chipped wall tiles in the kitchen. As yet, she hasn't quite got them off and there are now a further four chipped tiles that need to be replaced. :sad:

She said that she'd struggled - hardly surprising as Puttees Senior put them on and he didn't intend that they'd be coming off.

As I've made my final brew before heading up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire, I've noticed why she's been struggling. SHE'S BEEN USING MY BLOODY WOOD CHISELS!

Rather than bouncing her head against the wall to knock some common sense into her, 'cos she'd sulk and make my life a misery for a fortnight, I thought I'd drop a gentle hint about the care and maintenance of wood chisels. Google's my friend and it suggested a site called

Here's a snippet:

Should I just get some new chisels? And a padlock for my toolbox?
  2. Simple solution; break Doris's fingers.
  3. Knackered wood chisels can come in handy sometimes so don't chuck them. Treat yourself to a new set of marples. There are some half decent deals on ebay Tell her next time she touches them, she could well lose a finger or two, accidentally of course!
  4. Before leaving yesterday morning, I suggested that she'd be better to use a masonry bit to break the tiles before chiselling them off with a cold chisel. I stressed that she shouldn't use the wood bits or the steel bits. "Yes I know which ones the masonry bits are - I've used them before."

When I came home, I found that she had been using my steel bits. I should have realised. I lost a set of wood bits because she preferred them for drilling into concrete "because the sharp point stopped them skipping around". For a short while, at least...

Looks like a trip to Screwfix this weekend.
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You should really question the manner in which you are going about your life, what the **** are you doing allowing a woman to:

A: use your tools.
    B: attempt to carry out DIY in your abode.

You wrong'n.
  6. I was just thinking that myself. Letting birds get hold of any tools, let alone good ones, is asking for trouble; mine has access to one toolbox with a few old screwdrivers, some pliers my Grandad borrowed from the 8th Army, a tack hammer and an old wooden-handled claw hammer. The rest, including all the power tools, are in a locked steel cabinet (padlock combination known only to me; she said I shouldn't be the only one to know it, so I took the dog into the back yard and told him).

Birds and tools - no.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

When the OH finished work, I generously bought her own small toolkit! Nothing too adventurous, just a few screwdrivers, pliers and a small hammer. She can change a fuse and wire a 13a plug, but she's never embarked on anything more adventurous.

I borrow her tools occasionally :)