Cardio & Weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spursluv, Jun 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I am going to the gym tonight to do some upper body strength and some Cardiovascualr ie running etc as I want to lose some weight and build up some stamina, does it make a difference whether I do my cardio first or weights first, I really want to lose weight.

Cheers for any help :wink:
  2. Mate if you really want to lose wieght , get out running , dont bother in the gym , them running machines are a little easyer than proper running . They also give you a mental block and you get bored . Get on the road for a min 45 mins a go . Do your wieght training as well that will help you tone up . Dont look at your scales , they will make you feel down . Remember muscle is heavyer than fat . Good luck . Be Patient
  3. Its not how much you weigh, More muscles you have, more calories you burn the slimmer you stay.
  4. I have decided to go running in the morning 5 days a week, and the gym every other day in the evenings rather than try to do it all at once in the gym. Thanks alot for your help, I now have a little spring in my step at work this morning after my run rather than feel half asleep :wink:

5. if you want to put on muscule and lose fat the best way to train is compound exercises for hypetrophy and intervills for cardio ie 2-3 times a week do 4 sets of 6-8 reps of bench press, lat pulls, squats , andshoulder press, then once you start to understand proper form build up to split programes doing no more than 12 sets per muscule group, followed by 25-35 mins intervalls ( 5 min warm up 1 min fast one min recovery repeat 10-15 times 5 min warm down).

Heavy weights and fast burst of cardio are what hit the metabolism hardest and leave it burning longest throw in 1 long run say an hour or an hour 15 mins per week take one rest day and a voila should have you gracing the covers of mens health in no time
  6. I am going to take your advice, but I don't want to put too much muscle on as I am female :) but I do want to target my metabolism the hardest, at the moment I am doing 3 sets of 12 of bench press, shoulder press etc, but I am going to do it the way you have said, I think it will do me some good to have a change from the way I have been doing it so far.

Thanks alot for your help :wink:
  7. you could try antagonistic supersets as well, these are sets of exercises perfomed back to back that work opposing muscule groups ie chest / back biceps/triceps try (my personal work out just now ) this 2 day split 3 days off between work outs
    weight goes up each set all reps are 12,10,8,6,4,
    dumbell bench press (after each set do as many pull ups over arm grip as poss) rest 60 secs then carry on
    lat pull downs (after each set as many press ups as poss)
    incline barbell , bent over rows
    decline barbell flyes, seated rows
    chin ups 4 x max reps dips 4 x max reps
    thats the upper body the lower body is

45 degree lunges with lat raises
    squat to shoulder press
    calf raises to shrug
    all same reps as upper body using maximum weight for reps

after each i do 35-45 mins on rowing machine or a mile swim

hope this helps