Cardio Levels

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TurtleHead, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Morning to you all,

due to circumstances (read excuses) i have let myself and my phys slide these last 3-4 years and am now tipping the scales at more than i should be. Prior to that i was never one to have too much of a complex fitness program, just lots of activity some weights at home and lots of sport.
    I have now altered my diet and am starting to do some cardio work.
    I still have quite a bulky upper body although not doing any weights work,
    my question is this
    ' many fitness/training programs state you should do 'this cardio' for 'this' time at 25/40/50% your heart rate, could somebody tell me how exactly you work this out please?

I have used google and looked at other websites but they never seem to explain things in laymans terms.
    any help would be great
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Rule of thumb is your max heart rate is 220 minus your age.

Say you are 30, max = 190 bpm. Exercise to 50 or 80% or whatever. Exercising at 25% is what you do when you're asleep (if you're very fit).
  3. This website tells you how to work out the percentages, and also gives you a nifty little calculator aswell

Heart Rate Training
  4. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

cheers Chaps,
    i have no doubt that this will eventually confuse me, so i will try it and see how i get on.
    I recently recovered from a long term hip problem so will be aiming to be doing run/walk intervals increasing the running time
  5. My theory is, go outside, run like **** until you can't run no more. Works for me anyways..

But if you do want to get technical, buy yourself a heart rate monitor, you can pick them up pretty cheap these days
  6. A simpler way would be to use the Borg Scale.

Very basic and easy to use,

When you are doing your C.V. work you should aim for about level 6-8. 0 being the most easyist ,10 being the most difficult.
  7. The Borg Scale actually works from numbers 6 to 20 giving you a simple way to estimate heart rate (multiply Borg Score by 10 = approx Heart Rate for activitly level.). 0-10 is a modified RPE Scale.
  8. I imagine you will be too unfit / unable (due to hip problems / restrictions) to train properly against your heart rate. Just start off with basic phys, low impact would be good to prevent further hip injury and once your basic level of fitness has improved you can then look to train more specifically with HR targets etc in mind.
  9. The easiest way i find is as follows:

40% ish would allow a normal conversation
    60% ish would be single sentences
    80% ish single words
    anywhere around 90% would be unable to talk/heart attack.

impact phys, like running puts maximum stress on your hips, ankles second, knees third. I think it's something like 45/35/20. Make sure you have good quality, and fitting, running shoes.

Cycling/Swimming are just as good as running by the way, without the stress on your joints.