Cardinal Keith O'Brien resigns as Archbishop

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Tuffty, Feb 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down as leader of the Scottish Catholic Church. It follows allegations - which he contests - of inappropriate behaviour towards priests dating from the 1980s. In a statement, he apologised to those he had offended during his ministry.

Gosh whatever next a Catholic priest resigns over ‘inappropriate behavior’ I don’t bloody believe it next thing you will be telling me that a politician has resigned because he has been caught lying.
    Oh and if he is innocent why is he apologising in the first place. I wouldn’t, I would be making a list of all the evil bastards who had tried to stitch me up and who I was gonna get even with when I get back in power
    Then again I am not really a very Christian type of person I suppose
  2. Bigot of the year bails out, marvellous!

Or do I detect the long levers of Mafia/P2 lodge gerrymandering, to get another malleable Italian Pope?
  3. Just heard it on the radio driving back to work. I wonder what he's done and whether he's in for a long stretch.
  4. Sounds like he'd quite enjoy that!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. He's probably just decided that, at his age, he doesn't need all this shit.
  6. Quick wash and it'll all be off.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Tin foil hat on....

My thoughts entirely, didn't he say a few days ago that the next pope should rethink the Church’s celibacy rules for its clergy.
    Then suddenly a couple of priests come out of the woodwork and he can't vote anymore!

Tin foil hat off.

Either way, the catholic church has proved once again that if their realy is a God, he's definately not a left footer!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. That's very charitable of you to say so. He denied everything then resigned so he currently looks as guilty as a puppy sitting by a puddle of piss and a chewed slipper.

So, are we offering odds?

2 to 1................ Little boys
    2 to 1................ Unloading his lovespuds into junior priest's mudbuttons
    6 to 1................ Fingers in the till
    25 to 1.............. Old and tired and doesn't need all this shit
    5 to 1 on........... To be interviewed under caution by McPlod.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Brother I'll have £20 on little boys.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

As I understand it, the allegations concern junior seminarians (anywhere from 16 to 20 year olds) all of whom would've been under age in the 1980's. That and the rank hypocrisy should be enough to ensure that his "big boy who ran away" defense to fall at the first.
  11. I honestly don't know. I doubt if it's kids because it's supposed to be other priests from 30 years ago saying he was innapropriate. Seems more like a tactical smear campaign to me although have to agree he does look incredibly guilty but he may only be guilty of double standards.

Cardinal O'Brien had been due to retire on 17 March when he turns 75."

MiT - three weeks before retiring and missing out on the upcoming cardinals' knees up in Rome
    - hardly jacking it in on a whim.

Perhaps Catholics of today don't need all this nonsing shit.
  13. Can we keep your sex life out of this? :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. No, I agree it doesn't look good but if he was due to retire in three weeks perhaps he didn't want to be locked in Papal Conclave and miss his piss up down the Nag's Head. We might find out more if they've booked a strippergram.
  15. I believe this is what the prelates were complaining about, being defrocked by their bishop.
    • Like Like x 1