Card cloned.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Ravers, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Had a lovely lunch in a little restaurant in Berkhamstead last week. Really nice meal.

I paid by card.

Checked bank statement and 200 quid has been withdrawn from a cashpoint in the same town that evening, followed by a further £250 early the next morning.

I was driving up the M6 at the time with the card in my pocket. So it's pretty obvious that the card has been cloned.

The only place I used the card that day was the restaurant and I haven't made any other purchases in Berkhamstead - ever. I was just passing through to see a mate. I did make purchases in London earlier in the week, but as the withdrawals were made in Berkhamstead it seems pretty clear cut that the restaurant is the culprit here.

I do recall that while the card was in the chip and pin machine, it took a little longer than usual because another member of staff was using the phone and had to hang up before the payment went through. At the time I thought nothing of it.

Usually I'd think nothing of it because the bank should cover any loss, however there is one little snag - it was my wife's card and she wasn't present, I had her permission to use it (my card had snapped), however the bank won't accept liability because she gave the card to me. They're saying it was probably me who withdrew the cash.

So what's the score? Where do we stand? Are the bank obliged to pay up? Am I fucked? Shall I go and torch the restaurant?

Any advice most welcome.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You used it in a gay bar and are trying to cover your tracks.

Botty bandit!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ravers

• Like Like x 1
  4. The only way I can see this working out is if you go back to the restaurant and headbutt the waiter.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Obviously you have too much money if you would rather have a meal in a sit down place rather than one of Mr Ginster's products.

Tell your card provider asap preferably before posting the details on ARRSE!

Not wanting to cause offence but if you need to ask on ARRSE about this should you really be trusted with plastic money?

Finally how did the robbing cnuts get your PIN details?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'd get in touch with the restaurant.

You're wife has broken the T&Cs of he card issue but it might be worth reminding them ( and the Police) that you're near-certain the card has been cloned.

If it is one issued by a bank, consider getting her to take it into a local branch of the bank, cut into little pieces, and getting them to acknowledge receipt.
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the wife thing is complicated but they shouldn't haggle, the problem is the police don't get a say about investigating until the bank says so because they wanted to reduce the reported crime figures.

as long as you can prove there is no way you could have made those withdrawals then they cant argue it - mobile phone records should help prove you weren't there. police should be able to get camera footage if available but he/she will be wearing a hoodie no doubt.

you could ring the restaurant and have a go at them as its obviously one of their staff, the phone call thing shouldn't make any difference to a data service. just like broadband. if you were cloned in front of you then its a fancy set up.
  8. Let us know if you need help. Then again being Ex-navy just butt **** him over the counter.
  9. Certainly in Central Europe you can use a card and still sign a chit - but no one checks the signature...
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

11. You are up the creek without a paddle. What's more don't be at all surprised if the bank withdraws all card services from the wife.

I can't remember which bank but in the last year there was something similar in Cumbria. In that case both the husband and wife were invited to change banks immediately. Not sure but I think their credit history got black marked too.

That said. It is up to the bank to prove you pulled the money. Your wife might be able to get the money back but they have cause to really drag their feet more than usual. If they continue with their excuse for not paying ask them for proof it was you who withdraw the additional money.
  12. Put a fake moustache on, go to the same restaurant with a different card and get that one cloned too, then wait next to the cash machine with a pickaxe handle, a blowtorch, some copper wire, a pair of pliers, a ball pein hammer, a cordless drill, a ball gag, a metal dustbin, two slices of bread, a penknife, a rat, a cocker spaniel and a ski mask.

I'll leave the exact details up to you.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Ravers

Obviously I've already consulted the appropriate authorities, I'm just looking for the unique arrse perspective on this.

As for the pin? **** knows? Hidden camera? Waitress could've clocked it? Not sure.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  14. Since I hate Banks as a flat rule I'd smack the bank in question with a complaint under the BCOB. The bank has to treat you fairly and has to prove you behaved fraudulently. If your partner gave you their card and the pin number then how can a back claim you behaved fraudulently in Court ?