Carbon Offset - genius or bollocks?

Sadly planting trees may help in the long run, but it is a very slow way of 'doing something' The other problem is the land required.One computer model suggests that an area 7 times the size of Canada would be needed to plant enough trees to capture the carbon being produced.
*********. Carbon capture is just "I want to fly without the guilt so I will pay someone to do something and I feel fine". ******* cnuts.

Edit - anyone looking at this ******* rank hypocrisy rightly concludes "global warming is bollocks as they don't care" and it reinforces the American redneck tendency to rebel against the 'educated elites'. I'm not including the Indians or Chinese because they're building coal fired power plants at a rate of knots.

Last edited:
The EU reports some €147.2 billion goes "missing" every year as a result of VAT fraud and evasion.
Some €50 billion a year is lost as a result of carbon credit fraud.
Politicians love climate change, as its given them a thing to use as a device to hide new taxes and a chance to ponce around the world looking interested..... Look at electricity, which will supposedly replace Gas, Coal and Petrol, but with this massive increase in generation required all we have is wind and the replacement of existing nuclear stations..

If Climate change is a genuine emergency then nuclear is the easiest, most reliable way of generating electricity. The downsides are many of course and the chilling drama about Chernobyl showed the effects of being blasé about those downsides.. But in an emergency that is the only realistic option, the alternatives are to kill off 3/4 of the population.

You mean like road tax is for repairing the roads kind of thing?
Road Tax was done away with years ago and replaced with vehicle tax (vehicle excise duty) so they could turn round and say it's part of the general tax kitty and FU to those paying it.

BBC News leading with the fires in the Brazilian rain forests and the catastrophic impact it is having on the climate across the world.
I wonder how many of the trees currently being incinerated were planted as part of the Carbon Offset masterplan?

Royals' jet travel ‘exposes staggering hypocrisy of new green elites'

Seems we did waste correctly until EU & Gov't stuck their meddlesome oars in - British binmen

Rational voters aren't on board with the Green New Deal

Well done Will & Kate for using FlyBe to travel to Aberdeen for Balmoral holiday - Megan "Snob" Marbles will be stamping her feet & scweaming

PS: When/Age is William told not to travel on same vehicle as all his children?

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
Looking at the range of projects available for carbon offsetting, they all seem to be in the developing world and ultimately help further development. Development leads to larger populations which consume power and resources which harms the environment.

They all seem artificially created projects. Such as plant trees. We need wood so those trees would have been planted anyway and then cut down and replanted.
Or subsidise a project to roll out a more efficient cooking stove in India. Person who gets the stove either cooks more for the same money or uses the money saved on cooking the same amount to buy something else which would need manufacturing.

They just seem like a method of extracting money from the gullible by organisations who at best take a share to cover the costs and at worst commit outright fraud.

None of my family, friends have ever or intend in the future to offset their carbon footprint

who will offset the carbon footprint of naturally occurring things like volcanos? Italy has three active ones yet you don't see Italian enviro twats running up to the open vents to wave placards and charge it tax to operate. The Italian Govt dont give a **** about an eruption unless they have to tidy up the mess afterwards. Indonesia is full of the ******* things and they are happily doing a Brazil on their own rainforests as fast as they can put a match to them. Why not focus the ecowarriors angst on the Indonesians? Mebbe it's coz dey is Asian Moozlims and don't like being told what to do by capitalist Western Whitey, especially lesbian ecowomen??!!....on a similar note, Ryanair wanted a few bob for a carbon offset but I declined. A CFM 56 gobbles 500 kg/hr of naughty kerosene per side on a 737-800 and they have 300 of them. Their carbon footprint is huge and a pound from me is not going to clear that up!!

Royals' jet travel ‘exposes staggering hypocrisy of new green elites'

Seems we did waste correctly until EU & Gov't stuck their meddlesome oars in - British binmen

Rational voters aren't on board with the Green New Deal

Well done Will & Kate for using FlyBe to travel to Aberdeen for Balmoral holiday - Megan "Snob" Marbles will be stamping her feet & scweaming

PS: When/Age is William told not to travel on same vehicle as all his children?
You dont seem a fan of Meghan. Is it because the Daily Mail told you not to like her?

anglo

LE
who will offset the carbon footprint of naturally occurring things like volcanos? Italy has three active ones yet you don't see Italian enviro twats running up to the open vents to wave placards and charge it tax to operate. The Italian Govt dont give a **** about an eruption unless they have to tidy up the mess afterwards. Indonesia is full of the ******* things and they are happily doing a Brazil on their own rainforests as fast as they can put a match to them. Why not focus the ecowarriors angst on the Indonesians? Mebbe it's coz dey is Asian Moozlims and don't like being told what to do by capitalist Western Whitey, especially lesbian ecowomen??!!....on a similar note, Ryanair wanted a few bob for a carbon offset but I declined. A CFM 56 gobbles 500 kg/hr of naughty kerosene per side on a 737-800 and they have 300 of them. Their carbon footprint is huge and a pound from me is not going to clear that up!!
Don't you know you only have to plant a tree,

A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and can sequester 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
On average, a plane produces a little over 53 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) per mile.
Aircraft travel 52,481,606,750 miles per year

It's just that you need a frecking lot of trees ;)

*********. Carbon capture is just "I want to fly without the guilt so I will pay someone to do something and I feel fine". ******* cnuts.

Edit - anyone looking at this ******* rank hypocrisy rightly concludes "global warming is bollocks as they don't care" and it reinforces the American redneck tendency to rebel against the 'educated elites'. I'm not including the Indians or Chinese because they're building coal fired power plants at a rate of knots.

Solutions are being worked on. But we will do it our way. Europe is a bastion of Hypocrisy, nothing more. But America still does more than most of the world.

Latest Threads