Carbon Offset - genius or bollocks?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I think its all a load of BS dreamed up by the over educated twits, a way of making money for an elite group
stop fat people driving
that would improve health and the environment
I need the exercise anyway

Megan courts the press over the argument over her & Harry's trip on private plane.
I always thought Harry blamed the press for his Mother's death, marriage changes people, it has Harry!
Now as long as its free he seems to think, sod the carbon offset lets fly!

I see MP's are saying that cars travel must be stopped for those who are not rich and privileged, do they not realise that will make it easy to spot those greedy selfish bastards who fail to lead by example.

CatsEyes

War Hero
The more some actor tells me how ghastly I am about the carbon rich lifestyle I lead the more it makes me want to ditch the diesel car I drive. . . .

. . . . . and replace it with this.
View attachment 412221

It's a real twat to park apparently.
You know that if you went supermarket shopping, you'd park it in the corner and there'd be another one next to it when you return to the monster.

Megan courts the press over the argument over her & Harry's trip on private plane.
I always thought Harry blamed the press for his Mother's death, marriage changes people, it has Harry!
I bet when Harry was an FAC in Afghan, he arranged for a lot more unpleasant substances to be thrown into the atmosphere (Terry Toastie is very high in carbon).

It's been going on for some time. In 2011 a London based company became involved in a tree planting for carbon offsets scandal in Africa.
According to a report released by the aid group Oxfam on Wednesday, more than 20,000 people say they were evicted from their homes here in recent years to make way for a tree plantation run by a British forestry company, emblematic of a global scramble for arable land.

It's been going on for some time. In 2011 a London based company became involved in a tree planting for carbon offsets scandal in Africa.
According to a report released by the aid group Oxfam on Wednesday, more than 20,000 people say they were evicted from their homes here in recent years to make way for a tree plantation run by a British forestry company, emblematic of a global scramble for arable land.

So, in the early seventies, Idi Amin kicked out the Asians of Uganda, who rocked up in the Uk, the world was horrified, and rightly condemned him, and now its the big business interests from The UK who are doing more or less the same, kicking out the local indigenous population to plant trees, all in the name of carbon offsets, or some such bollocks, that has no disenable basis of truth, in essence, land grabbing, to turn a profit. It stinks of two faced hypocrisy, with the collusion of corrupt Ugandan officials, and I suspect government ministers....brown envelopes, stuffed with money comes to mind,............ allegedly,...............just a random thought!

Every good con trick is heavily dependent on someone's greed, or better still a desire to make a noble gesture and garner the rewards of a pat on the back and a thumbs up..... Some people are coining it in with this entire climate change thing that has grown into a racket.

Every good con trick is heavily dependent on someone's greed, or better still a desire to make a noble gesture and garner the rewards of a pat on the back and a thumbs up..... Some people are coining it in with this entire climate change thing that has grown into a racket.
Just like the recycling Industry. Absolute racket and making a few people very rich indeed on the back of the misery of the masses.

Some people are coining it in with this entire climate change thing that has grown into a racket.
The EU reports some €147.2 billion goes "missing" every year as a result of VAT fraud and evasion.
Some €50 billion a year is lost as a result of carbon credit fraud.

Carbon offset is a way for the well off to duck hard decisions. As in (off topic ish):
View attachment 412232
Sums it up perfectly. Global warming is happening. Climate change as a result of that is probable.

The solution? We can't stop flying around the world to tell the proles how to behave, therefore we'll give Jimmy Fuckknuckle 20 quid to plant some pine trees. The fact said trees will then be used for firewood or bog roll, thus rendering the whole exercise pointless, is neither here nor there. *******.

Last edited:
Sums it up perfectly. Global warming is happening. Climate change as a result of that is profitable.

The solution? We can't stop flying around the world to tell the proles how to behave, therefore we'll give Jimmy Fuckknuckle 20 quid to plant some pine trees. The fact said trees will then be used for firewood or bog roll, thus rendering the whole exercise pointless, is neither here nor there. *******.

Just a small change to make your post more accurate.

No, it's alright. Sir Elton picked up the tab.

Only poor people f*ck up the planet.

Just a small change to make your post more accurate.
Probably true but that's not the point.

This does my ******* head in that people are unable to distinguish between genuine science, reasonable projections and the lunatic fringe. The Thunberg wankstains using the 'Unite Behind the Science' logo make it worse. As for extinction rebellion, they all deserve a good kicking.

In rural communities, life would be pretty miserable without a car

They can prise my car from cold dead hands
Public transport can work in urban or suburban areas. I don't drive and, with a little bit of planning, getting around is ok. Without a car, you lose the convenience of being able to head off somewhere at any time. Where public transport fails, outside of major cities, is off peak travel. The one bus an hour malarkey is a real pain but, as @beardyProf says, provision would improve if there were more users. I get the bus to and from work and it is at least 20 people plus me, so a big hit in terms of reducing traffic.
The car ownership problem that concerns me is less the climate (pretty much out of my control, to state the obvious) but social. People don't walk, so a lot of areas are left with old people, young people, or poor people, on foot. I have said before in another thread, you can walk places, even in towns, and barely pass anyone on foot (in housing estates, etc). Most people have abandoned the pavements and ordinary public spaces. Yet the same people say those areas aren't safe at night, etc. That's true, but only because no bugger uses them.

Bollocks

Duke & Duchess of Woke - pay attention

Dear HM Liz, Please make Harry Governor of South Georgia and send him and his wife there asap.

rifleair

War Hero
The more some actor tells me how ghastly I am about the carbon rich lifestyle I lead the more it makes me want to ditch the diesel car I drive. . . .

. . . . . and replace it with this.
View attachment 412221

It's a real twat to park apparently.
Can't see why, park where you like, who's going to argue?

Sums it up perfectly. Global warming is happening. Climate change as a result of that is probable.

Sadly planting trees may help in the long run, but it is a very slow way of 'doing something' The other problem is the land required.One computer model suggests that an area 7 times the size of Canada would be needed to plant enough trees to capture the carbon being produced.

Latest Threads