Carbon Offset - genius or bollocks?

I’ve read quite a bit recently about Carbon Offset initiatives, which are apparently designed to make a trip you take by boat or air ‘Carbon Neutral’, by planting a few trees. Numerous references in the Extinction Rebellion thread, but the topic also appeared in the Media this week when Elton John got his panties in a twist over a recent visit to his Tuscan Villa by Harry and Meghan.
Despite the fact Harry and Meghan have taken a number of trips by private jet recently, it’s ok, because on every occasion, a contribution has been made to a Carbon Offset Company, so any CO2 generated by said trips has been cancelled out!
In my opinion, this seems to be a very convenient (and expensive) way for the rich and famous to travel the world by whichever means they want, feel good about themselves, but at the same time patronising and lecturing the rest of us about ‘saving the planet’. Emma Thompson immediately springs to mind. Someone is clearly rubbing their hands with glee and making a mint out of this stupidity.
Meanwhile, China, India and Brazil continue to build power stations and destroy forests - who is having a word in their ears? Has the world gone mad? I call bollocks!

Last edited:
Bollocks.

Even if the tree absorbs carbon dioxide it will release it again when the tree is burned or decomposes.

In many parts you are right, particularly about the scale of deafforestation matched against people engaged in carbon capture projects; however every little helps and someone has to start by setting an example. This morning's news included a parliamentary committee saying we're all going to have to give up our cars in the UK. Fine by me when I see the PM, the cabinet secretary, my local lord mayor and CIGS on a bus I'll hand mine in.

In many parts you are right, particularly about the scale of deafforestation matched against people engaged in carbon capture projects; however every little helps and someone has to start by setting an example. This morning's news included a parliamentary committee saying we're all going to have to give up our cars in the UK. Fine by me when I see the PM, the cabinet secretary, my local lord mayor and CIGS on a bus I'll hand mine in.
Some people won’t be happy until they have us back living in caves and uninvent(?) fire!

Bollocks.

Even if the tree absorbs carbon dioxide it will release it again when the tree is burned or decomposes.
Burned yes but not if it rots into the ground, lignin is a high carbon material that is very resistant to decomposition.

In rural communities, life would be pretty miserable without a car

They can prise my car from cold dead hands

Some people won’t be happy until they have us back living in caves and uninvent(?) fire!
Yes, and there appears to be two sub-groups, those who want to live like this themselves because they have some woolly idea that it will solve the worlds problems and those who want us to do it so they don't have to. I feel sorry for the first but I truly hate and despise the second for their hypocrisy.

We don’t realise it but...we are being farmed by plants. They feed us oxygen then feast upon us when we die.
We need to rise up against the chlorophyll producing vegetative bastards!

It's not just the rich who can salve their conscience with carbon offsets. KLM are offering me the ability to not lose sleep over my next flight to Houston.

1566485331101.png

I’ve read quite a bit recently about Carbon Offset initiatives, which are apparently designed to make a trip you take by boat or air ‘Carbon Neutral’, by planting a few trees. Numerous references in the Extinction Rebellion thread, but the topic also appeared in the Media this week when Elton John got his panties in a twist over a recent visit to his Tuscan Villa by Harry and Meghan.
Despite the fact Harry and Meghan have taken a number of trips by private jet recently, it’s ok, because on every occasion, a contribution has been made to a Carbon Offset Company, so any CO2 generated by said trips has been cancelled out!
In my opinion, this seems to be a very convenient (and expensive) way for the rich and famous to travel the world by whichever means they want, feel good about themselves, but at the same time patronising and lecturing the rest of us about ‘saving the planet’. Emma Thompson immediately springs to mind. Someone is clearly rubbing their hands with glee and making a mint out of this stupidity.
Meanwhile, China, India and Brazil continue to build power stations and destroy forests - who is having a word in their ears? Has the world gone mad? I call bollocks!
if you happen to have a business growing timber then this is basically free money

Chalkster69

Swinger
2 different sets of reasons -

Firstly, the Rich - they want us back in villages & controllable - they hate the thought of the great unwashed wandering around what were previously the exclusive haunts of the wealthy.

Secondly, the Government - they hate us having independence, we're easier to control if we're reliant on the state for our transport (and other) needs.....

The offset is absolute bollocks - it's just Elton chucking a bloke some money to plant some bog roll trees that he was going to plant anyway - it doesn't stop the immediate issue of the fumes/dust/pollution his plane is spewing into the atmosphere.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Bollocks.

Ah but if it decomposes far enough in millions of years time somebody will be able to start burning it again while others wave flags and hold protest meetings and so on ad infinitum.

Last edited:
How much carbon dioxide is released when the rich people open a bottle of champagne (or poorer people a bottle of tonic water)?
As for greenhouse gases - it's all the fault of us drinkers (especially those of us who fart after a gutful of real ale).

The more some actor tells me how ghastly I am about the carbon rich lifestyle I lead the more it makes me want to ditch the diesel car I drive. . . .

. . . . . and replace it with this.
59cdfb7ec23143f8bcbfa9cddadbe5e5.jpg

It's a real twat to park apparently.

It's not just the rich who can salve their conscience with carbon offsets. KLM are offering me the ability to not lose sleep over my next flight to Houston.

View attachment 412199
Expert on the box today suggested that a fee of £50 would just about cover your carbon footprint abuse flying to Spain.
So when you fly over the coal fired power stations, industrial heartlands of China, Hungary, Eastern Europe, USA you can ignore the belching smoke. You would think the smog of Beijing will evaporate by next week. :cool:

Offa

War Hero
Will there be an amnesty for those who don't?

Latest Threads