Carbon Monoxide - A Public Safety Warning

#1
Just to be ever-helpful and conscious of public safety, here's a timely tip from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service...


Date: 21-01-2013
Time: 07:50
Details: Carbon Monoxide Warning
Address: Tilbury and Saffron Walden

Overnight ECFRS attended two incidents in which people had suffered the effects of carbon monoxide.

In the first incident six people in Tilbury were taken ill with carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a coal fire.

In the second incident an 81 year-old woman also suffered the effects of breathing in carbon monoxide.

In both cases crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the gas from the property.

In the current cold weather many homes will be bringing out extra heaters to provide extra warmth and it is vital that everyone makes sure that they are safe from the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.

A spokesman for ECFRS said: "Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a serious threat and if people don’t make a special effort to look out for the signs or equip themselves with an alarm then it is very easy for it to go undetected until it is too late.

“The symptoms of poisoning are very much like those people suffering with flu or food poisoning would have so it’s not uncommon for people to stay in their home, where the dangerous leak is, treating themselves for these illnesses and not getting the leak fixed.

“The symptoms to be aware of are a shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches. If you are suffering any of these symptoms then check to make sure there is no leak in your home.

“Carbon Monoxide detectors will warn people of any danger and every home should have one. It is also vital to have all work on gas appliances done by a Gas Safe registered gas fitter and to carry out regular checks to appliances and flues.”

Signs to look for which warn of a Carbon Monoxide leak:

- Yellow or brown staining around appliances
- Pilot lights frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
- Yellow rather than blue flame
- If you are suffering shortness of breath, mild nausea, mild headaches or flu like symptoms


There you go, happy to be helpful just this once, normal attitude will be resumed shortly...
 
#2
Too many people think that CO is only generated by gas, look at the instances this year with barbecues.

Anything which burns...... gas, oil, coal, wood can generate it, especially without adequate ventilation.

A very common sight is a vent which has been sellotaped over.

Tenants, usually, I read them the riot act, explain the dangers, rip it off...... next year it's back again.
 
#5
Is this a thread about stating the bleeding obvious. Don't light fires in confined spaces without adequate ventilation, indoor BBQs are a bad idea, funny smells emanating from France!

Here's my contribution.... don't step in front of moving buses!
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#6
Be careful when driving across mainland Europe, it's been known for people to be gassed in their sleep so people can steal things from their trucks.
 
#7
And during this severe weather it is worth reminding everyone not to eat the yellow snow.


I could go on, and on, and on.....
 
#8
Is this a thread about stating the bleeding obvious. Don't light fires in confined spaces without adequate ventilation, indoor BBQs are a bad idea, funny smells emanating from France!

Here's my contribution.... don't step in front of moving buses!
It was pointless you reading this since you think you know everything about it and are clearly a superior being to those who have suffered CO poisoning. Clearly, you will never be affected.

Unless you have something to contribute, why don't you go and give some other forum the benefit of your omniscient intelligence.

Whilst there are some Darwin award candidates, carbon monoxide is both commonplace and nasty stuff that could affect anyone, e.g., birds' nests, dead bird in a flue, masonry fall in a chimney, combustion products from a neighbour's appliance, etc.. It is odourless; how would you know if you were inhaling it?
 
#9
It was pointless you reading this since you think you know everything about it and are clearly a superior being to those who have suffered CO poisoning. Clearly, you will never be affected.

Unless you have something to contribute, why don't you go and give some other forum the benefit of your omniscient intelligence.

Whilst there are some Darwin award candidates, carbon monoxide is both commonplace and nasty stuff that could affect anyone, e.g., birds' nests, dead bird in a flue, masonry fall in a chimney, combustion products from a neighbour's appliance, etc.. It is odourless; how would you know if you were inhaling it?
The smoke coming back out of your chimney might be a bit of a clue.....


Posted from my ipad whilst on the loo(iOS or Android)
 
#10
Sorry, but smoke only issues out from things like coal fires,and can still give off CO only, gas and many others only give off invisible, odourless fumes..... the silent killer.
 
#12
Went straight out and bought a CO detector when a friend (doctor as it happens) reported her and family almost croaking it when the fire in the place they were staying on holiday began to pump out CO. She reckons all four of them owe their lives to the CO detector waking them.

Also remember being told horror stories about entire huts of soldiers never waking up again because they'd left all the windows shut, back in the days of coal stoves and 20-man huts.

CO detectors cost next to nothing compared to what they do.
 

ACAB

On ROPS
On ROPs
#13
Carbon Monoxide is also useful should you have suicidal inclinations. It is painless and mess free. All this chucking yourself in front of trains, off tall structures or, heaven forbid, self immolation means I have to get the shovel out the boot.

Carbon Monoxide: You know it makes sense!
 
#17
Is this a thread about stating the bleeding obvious. Don't light fires in confined spaces without adequate ventilation, indoor BBQs are a bad idea, funny smells emanating from France!

Here's my contribution.... don't step in front of moving buses!
heres my contribution... you can see/hear a bus.. this is an insidious killer, undetectable by human senses, which never fails to carry people off every winter.
 
#18
So, the by product of fossilised fuel combustion is Carbon Monoxide? Well, who would have thought it. Why didn't they teach us this at school?


Posted from my ipad whilst on the loo(iOS or Android)
they taught me about CO come to think of it, in fact I know it combines with haemoglobin 400X more readily than oxygen, which is why it kills.... however, when you come home knackered from work, eat and go to aleep with the heating on I bet you are not thinking of school lessons taught 30 years ago. The op has a good point, good thread.
 
#19
The smoke coming back out of your chimney might be a bit of a clue.....
If that was so, then there would be no necessity for carbon monoxide detectors in addition to the usual smoke detectors, would there? That is a common misconception that has killed many people.

Blocked chimneys were mentioned as random examples of something that could affect the most alert people.
Extract fans (not necessarily in the same room) are another cause of conventional flues failing to remove combustion products.
 
#20
So, the by product of fossilised fuel combustion is Carbon Monoxide? Well, who would have thought it. Why didn't they teach us this at school?
You really do know it all, don't you?

Unique case of fatal carbon monoxid... [Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Full details here, see post of 15/12/2005 for the explanation (that many qualified Engineers had failed to suggest);

IET Forums - Carbon monoxide poisoning electric storage heaters


Go on, tell us you could have anticipated and deftly avoided that one.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top