Carb Loading

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by terroratthepicnic, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

All next week I will be eating Carbs, shed loads of them. I will cut out all meat except fish and chicken and will be mainly eating Pasta, Rice and Potatoes, with a bag or two of jelly beans before bed.

I will be making the obvious potato and rice salads and eating pasta in all types of sauces, but I'm open to some other ideas of tasty things to do with Pasta, Rice or Potato that can be eaten hot or cold.

From Sunday evening, through to Taurday evening I will be eating carb loaded meals no less than 13 times. So I need some new ideas. So put down your best recipes below and if they sound nice I will give them a go.

I will start with my mexican rice. Tastes great eaten hot or cold. Serves 2

1 cup of long grain rice
    2 cups of chick stock (I used Knorr)
    1 red and 1 green pepper diced
    1 medium sized onion diced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    t/sp Cumin
    t/sp Chilli powder
    tbl sp Chilli Oil

Put oil in a pan and heat until almost smoking
    Add the peppers and onion and cook until onion is clear
    Add the uncooked rice and cook until starting to brown (I tend to go for a golden colour)
    Add the stock, Chilli powder, cumin and garlic
    Stir and allow to come to the boil
    Once boiled, put a lid on the rice and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has disapeard
    Serve.

2. Why the carb loaded diet, you running a marathon or something? I'm on a carb free at the moment to lose a bit of timber round the stomach area aligned with lots of gym work. Got loads of carb free recipe's but nothing on carb loading but I'm guessing anything with lots of spuds, rice and pasta is good. All sorts of pasta bakes are high carb. Why are you cutting out the red meats or are you high carb and low protien eating?

3. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

I'm running the London Marathon next week, so yes high carb low protien diet to allow my muscles to take on as much glycogen as possible. So any meat I do eat will be fish and chicken (as some protien is still required).

This coupled with the right exercise over then next week will allow me to store the right amount of Carbs (I think the body can store about 600g of Glycogen).

4. Don't forget to chuck down a couple of pints of dark ale every chance you get. Grab yourself a pot of malt from the brewery and shove a table spoon down three or four times a day. Horlicks at bedtime.

5. Flap jacks.

Can't be beaten for density of carbs and sugar.

6. Carb loading all of next week? Thats a bit early mate if the marathon is on the 22nd. You really should start loading around 3 days before the event. Carb loading too early is counter productive, as you just end up with a swollen belly and feeling like shit.

I wouldnt start loading on Wednesday at the very earliest, giving you 4 days. Personally Id wait until the Thursday. Also remember smaller meals more frequently and keep up your water intake

7. Have you bought one of these:

classic-spud-gun-547-p.jpg

8. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

I tried that last time, and was flagging by mile 20. This year I'm changing my eating habits early and upping my salt intake, as there is no way am I suffering leg cramps like that again.

9. Good luck for that, what sort of time you looking for?

10. Terror, if that is the case then you need to get carbs on board during the race - you cannot load enough to go 26 miles without refuelling. I had the same thing last marathon I ran at 18 miles. I did not run my plan and ran out of fuel. Are you planning on gels in the race, I am going to take one every four miles this time, I found the sis ones to be best but powerbar do good stuff too.

11. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

This year I have been training with Lucozade tablets. I can't do gels, they don't agree with me. When running I have been having one tablet every mile and it seems to be working fine for me. I tried the energy bars last year, although they were great, I found they just stuck to my teeth and started to annoy me.

Romey, I'm looking at a sub 4. But if it's cool enough, I should be able to get a sub 3:30.

12. Shot Bloks are good too, you can suck them slowly.

13. Tuna and macaroni salad for 2.

150- 200 gms of macaroni

2 hardboiled eggs

1 tin of tuna in brine

Salad cream to taste.

Boil pasta till tender, drain the pasta into a colander and run cold water over it till cool.

Drain tuna, mash in a bowl, add the eggs, mash roughly.

Add a good spurt of salad cream.

Stir, add more cream to taste.

You can also add chopped parsley, chopped spring onion, tomato etc to suit your own tastes.

Tastes like shit to me, but my wife loves it...... says it's her favourite for a lunch at work.

14. Easy pasta.

Put enough wholemeal spaghetti for one into boiling water.

Use a large soup bowl as a lid and add a small tin of baby squid or octopus in salsa americana or ink sauce to warm it up.

I like to chop up a few jalapeno peppers and green olives as well and throw them in......

When the pasta is done, drain and stir into the sauce.... lovely.