Caravans. Should I ?

Mrs MJ has almost convinced me to buy a caravan.

The question is; I am getting old and sad :cry: or does a caravan open up new and exciting opportunities :D ?

Kids are young, we have enjoyed static caravan hols, there will not be weekends away for just the two of us but scope does exist for walking trips with mates.

Help required in the form of positve stories or possible adventures. :?

MonkeyJim said:

The question is; I am getting old and sad :cry: or does a caravan open up new and exciting opportunities :D ?

Kids are young, we have enjoyed static caravan hols, there will not be weekends away for just the two of us but scope does exist for walking trips with mates.

Simple answer:... Don't bother... Positive Stories?! Get real mate! :D

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
No. No. No. No. No.

Apart from irritating the arrse out of other drivers as you tortoise your way around the country and the tendency to snake and tip over on dual carriageways causing traffic jams, the experience of chemical toilets, carrying water for miles, putting your bed away every morning and being hated by local people wherever they are taken, will cost your children a fortune in therapy when they grow up.

edited for mong punctuation and to add another

NO.

Sheds on frigging wheels dont you even dare consider clogging the roads up any more.

You need to educate the Mrs and tell here she isnt allowed an opinion again till she has seen the error of her ways

MonkeyJim said:

NO NO NO, you can't store the feckers anywhere, if you find a place, you have to spank the cash monthly

They are mega wobbly bits of kit, deffo not squaddie proof, all fixtures come with delicate little knobs and buttons you would twist the wrong way and snap off first time you got shanted

You hold up everyone, waving around on the motorway only to arrive in a field full of weirdos wearing either cardigans and slippers, full sleeve tatoos and wife beater vests, or snotty kids screaming after the ratty flea bitten shoiting machine which will unload in your "Bit" while you ain't looking

Plus Augusts weather should tell you something about camping in the UK

Thats a NO from me

God bless you all. Not one positive reply. I am obliged.
Think I'll buy a motorbike instead and go touring around the european brothels.

Motorhomes aregood, but the prices are eye-watering, even secondhand. A Transit with a mattress and a doubleburner is the business, but I don't see your missus buying into that.

I bought a caravan when I retired. I see it as a means to an end, not an end in itself. The aim is always to get off-site asap each day and just use it as an admin base. We have cheap hols all over the shop - not just in UK - earlier this year we went to France, Germany and Czech Republic.

Yes, making the bed up is a pain and even the latest chemical closets have to be emptied - and the kids will cramp your style, but you can always banish them to the awning - yes, you need an awning - and probably extra bits to add to the awning itself. Another hurdle to overcome is loading the thing up with bedding, clothing, food, drink and a wide range of supplies and then unloading it all when you come back. Make Mrs think about this if she is going to do all the catering.

Do your sums carefully - you will need lots more kit than comes with the van, including security locks, jack, gas bottles and ramps for levelling, plus insurance, storage and an annual service for your gas, electricity, water and running gear. If it is a big van you will need a motor mover, because they are HEAVY. Unless the kids are body builders, of course.

Bllox caravaned for nearly a year now, used to do the tenty camping thing. Now I'm warm comfortable got electric, even get wireless connection on some sites for ahem surfing. Connect up to all ammenity on site. Get pissed fall over and your inbed already. Met a lot of people on sites who are serving or ex. So don't trust all you read here some of them may be lying or even closet caravanners themselves. try it its an easy cheap way to go and relax. I get paid good money to rough it I want some luxury now.

Mr_Deputy said:
gobbyidiot said:
Motorhomes aregood, but the prices are eye-watering, even secondhand. A Transit with a mattress and a doubleburner is the business, but I don't see your missus buying into that.
agree. or get a Rover you can convert to a bed at the back and a bird who will put up with it.
you don't even deserve the bullet.

Luxury is a five star hotel with wireless broadband connection, a proper bathroom with a power shower, room service, a bar, maid service, a restaurant or two, and maybe even a warm swimming pool that you don't have to trek across a ploughed field to reach.

A caravan is the utter, utter pits. Inconsiderate to other road users, and squalid to live in. Why leave a house to go and live like a pikey?

When I go on holiday, I like to live better than at home, not worse!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hitlerwasabitnaughty The NAAFI Bar 19
C The Intelligence Cell 76