Car with best rear leg room

I know the op has worries about LR product but as long as he stays away from Disco 3’s ( or 4’s without regular services)…
People keep saying that but my D3’s managed 230,000 miles without going pop. D4s on the other hand…

People keep saying that but my D3’s managed 230,000 miles without going pop. D4s on the other hand…
It’s keeping them in suspension bushes and ball joints that is the drudge.
The crank snapping, oil pump falling into the sump or cam belt tensioner falling into the pulleys is the random excitement you luckily missed.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
A well specced VW Caddy with a DSG Gearbox, loads of room in the back (plus loads of room for Fish-Fingers in the Boot!).

With a tow-hook and a roofbox „Fish-Finger carrying gets to a New Level!“.
Before buying any car - even if it's draped in diamonds - I recommend having a look at the JD Power reliability index. It gives a fair idea of what to expect and, even though you may have a mate who has run a car for mega miles without bother (yes, it happens), it may save you money and heartache in the future...

Edited to add: The last thing you personally want is something with a VW DSG gearbox, as has been mentioned already by @RBMK .

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Well I did say it probably wasn’t viable...

Perhaps so, but you left the worst out - they’re French now too :D
This has always confused me. If I buy a Toyota Aygo I'm buying a car from a manufacturer with a reputation for reliability but if I buy a Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 I'm buying a car from ropey French outfits that make their cars out of milk bottle tops and lollipop sticks yet all three models are built on the same production line in the Czech Republic.

I know the op has worries about LR product but as long as he stays away from Disco 3’s ( or 4’s without regular services) and main dealer serviceing , a full fat Range Rover really takes a lot of beating for comfort for all 5 passengers.
I can do penrith to bridport in one hit with three tall girls in the back and no whinging. ( hit the button and the suspension kneels so getting in is no harder than a conventional saloon , albeit one with huge doors.).
I’ve got a Discovery Sport. There’s plenty of room in the back of that, let alone a full size one. It came with a 5 year unlimited mileage guarantee so I really couldn’t give a stuff about LR reliability concerns.

This has always confused me. If I buy a Toyota Aygo I'm buying a car from a manufacturer with a reputation for reliability but if I buy a Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 I'm buying a car from ropey French outfits that make their cars out of milk bottle tops and lollipop sticks yet all three models are built on the same production line in the Czech Republic.

Why is that confusing? :D

MightyBigEgo

War Hero
Hyundai i40 estate.
I am 6'2" and have to move the drivers seat forwards (never had to do that before) and both my teenage sons are approaching 6 foot and have plenty of room in the back.

964ST

LE
Before buying any car - even if it's draped in diamonds - I recommend having a look at the JD Power reliability index. It gives a fair idea of what to expect and, even though you may have a mate who has run a car for mega miles without bother (yes, it happens), it may save you money and heartache in the future...

Edited to add: The last thing you personally want is something with a VW DSG gearbox, as has been mentioned already by @RBMK .
I have never personally owned one, just driven firm owned vehicles VW,s and Audi,s. So I take your point, if i had to pay with my own pocket and they are unreliable then „SCRATCH“ DSG :)

Missus has recently acquired a Honda CR-V, the rear legroom is pretty impressive, as is the load space.

arcticfox042

War Hero
I always found my Austin Allegro was spacious enough for my needs........

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 22.39.03.png

Looking for help with the purchase of a new/nearly new second-hand car.

As a family (2 adults & 2 sons) we are all over 6ft tall and are struggling to it into our Nissan X trail.

Any suggestions on what you have found to be the best car to give enough room in the back to stop the two boys moaning all journey and the wife and I having to pull our seats forward.

Have a look at a BMW 3-series GT, my wife has a 3 litre diesel 2016 one, and they’ve masses of leg and headroom - given that it’s a fastback, the boot space is pretty good too.

Absolutely no issue with reliability either, nothings gone wrong in the 4+ years she’s had it.

Last edited:
Looking for help with the purchase of a new/nearly new second-hand car.

As a family (2 adults & 2 sons) we are all over 6ft tall and are struggling to it into our Nissan X trail.

Any suggestions on what you have found to be the best car to give enough room in the back to stop the two boys moaning all journey and the wife and I having to pull our seats forward.

Interesting. I have a 2014 X-Trail and I think there's plenty of rear legroom. Even behind me and I'm a leggy bloke with seat pushed almost to the rear.

I haven't found much that can beat the x-Trail to be honest

armchair_ninja

Old-Salt
Interesting. I have a 2014 X-Trail and I think there's plenty of rear legroom. Even behind me and I'm a leggy bloke with seat pushed almost to the rear.

I haven't found much that can beat the x-Trail to be honest
Is that the new shape X-trail as ours is the old boxy one? Wife has 35 inch legs and the boys are growing up like her.

Is that the new shape X-trail as ours is the old boxy one? Wife has 35 inch legs and the boys are growing up like her.

The newer/current one.

The rear space is ridiculously large. We tried the Qashqui against it at the showroom, but there was no comparison.

I have the 1.6L. dci 4WD N-Tech. Everything I need and can pull a 1500kg caravan with no problem.

1627896613103.png

1627896840900.png

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Volvo.

Any of the XC models but theV60 / V90 are very good for rear space too.