Car tax question

Can anyone please advise?

I’m changing my car. I usually use the same brand (Merc) & I simply turn up, give them the keys and paperwork & drive out with my new one.
After being monumentally turned over by MBUK & they’ve showed no customer loyalty or used any discretion whatsoever, I’ve decided to go back to VW.

My problem is my road tax runs out on August the 31st. I use direct debit & it goes out on the 1st of every month. I’m returning my car on the 31st & picking up the VW on September the 1st.
I’ve already received an email from the DVLA telling me my tax will automatically renew, but I don’t want it to.
The only options on their website are not what I need.
Already sold the car, SORN, written off, scrapped, stolen, exported & tax exempt.

When it auto renews I’ll be paying for a car I no longer own. But the computer will think I do until it’s updated a few days later. I’ll also be charged for a months tax plus admin fees etc.

Someone else must’ve had this at some point?

jinxy

LE
Having lost my company vehicle I now have to deal with this shit again..............................Fuckit, I'll be the one going too fast, you'll never take me, alive copper

Stinkhole

Clanker

I’m changing my car. I usually use the same brand (Merc) & I simply turn up, give them the keys and paperwork & drive out with my new one.
After being monumentally turned over by MBUK & they’ve showed no customer loyalty or used any discretion whatsoever, I’ve decided to go back to VW.

My problem is my road tax runs out on August the 31st. I use direct debit & it goes out on the 1st of every month. I’m returning my car on the 31st & picking up the VW on September the 1st.
I’ve already received an email from the DVLA telling me my tax will automatically renew, but I don’t want it to.
Already sold the car, SORN, written off, scrapped, stolen, exported & tax exempt.

When it auto renews I’ll be paying for a car I no longer own. But the computer will think I do until it’s updated a few days later. I’ll also be charged for a months tax plus admin fees etc.

I seem to remember I had this before & the unused tax was credited back to me.

Truxx

LE

Just use the online portal to advise who the old car went to (including a dealer) and make sure that the people or person you are buying from does the same. Keep the green slip from the V5. Everything else will sort itself out.

Or maybe not.

I appear to have just paid 12 months road tax on a car I sold 18 months ago.

DVLA are more hopeless than usual right now, only their auto.ated systems seem to be keeping on top of things. Anything requiring a human in the chain though....

Just use the online portal to advise who the old car went to (including a dealer) and make sure that the people or person you are buying from does the same. Keep the green slip from the V5. Everything else will sort itself out.

Or maybe not.

I appear to have just paid 12 months road tax on a car I sold 18 months ago.

DVLA are more hopeless than usual right now, only their auto.ated systems seem to be keeping on top of things. Anything requiring a human in the chain though....

Exactly. They’re useless.

My son bought a new car and taxed it, he informed DVLA that the old car had been scrapped online. They took the monthly payment for the old car but reimbursed it once the disposal was confirmed.

Phone the *******..........................It's not rocket science ffs

Rocket science would easier than phoning the DVLA under the current circumstances because of the pandemic.

I tried to phone them a couple of weeks ago when I was helping a friend apply for their replacement licence that you need when you reach seventy years of age.

There are three standard responses to your call.

Firstly, a recording will suggest you talk to an automatic adviser. So you spend five minutes or so filling in answers to various questions giving them basically the history of your whole life to them and find that the question you want to spend thirty seconds of someone’s time having a conversation about isn’t on the list of questions that you can ask the automatic advisor.

The second response is that the phone rings a couple of times and a recorded message informs you that they are far too busy to talk to you so call again at a later date and then cuts your call off.

The third response is that you dial the number and after a brief pause, the line cuts off without even ringing.

A friend suggested trying Twitter. Apparently because a tweet is a publicly viewable message system, they don’t like everybody actually seeing how crap they are so they will response to a twitter inquiry!

jinxy

LE
Having lost my company vehicle I now have to deal with this shit again..............................Fuckit, I'll be the one going too fast, you'll never take me, alive copper

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
Just changed two cars in for one at the end of July as we simply didn't need both cars anymore. The dealers dealt with all the DVLA stuff within minutes through the dealer portal, didn't even have to sign the V5. Two refund cheques turned up in the post, along with two "you are no longer the registered keeper" letters.

Just SORN it on the 31st and let the system catch up later. The license doesn’t move with the new owner so you get refunded anyhow.

Last edited:

BlipDriver

Old-Salt

Truxx

LE
Rocket science would easier than phoning the DVLA under the current circumstances because of the pandemic.

I tried to phone them a couple of weeks ago when I was helping a friend apply for their replacement licence that you need when you reach seventy years of age.

There are three standard responses to your call.

Firstly, a recording will suggest you talk to an automatic adviser. So you spend five minutes or so filling in answers to various questions giving them basically the history of your whole life to them and find that the question you want to spend thirty seconds of someone’s time having a conversation about isn’t on the list of questions that you can ask the automatic advisor.

The second response is that the phone rings a couple of times and a recorded message informs you that they are far too busy to talk to you so call again at a later date and then cuts your call off.

The third response is that you dial the number and after a brief pause, the line cuts off without even ringing.

A friend suggested trying Twitter. Apparently because a tweet is a publicly viewable message system, they don’t like everybody actually seeing how crap they are so they will response to a twitter inquiry!
They have a new twist on the business response to covid

It is called "not working from home"

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Two years ago I went into the dealership on the day, he called DVLA, they did it on the spot. I had phoned my insurance company in the days between saying yes and picking up.

Absolutely no drama at all.

Latest Threads