car situation when training + a few questions

8O Hello,

In 2 weeks I've got a 2 week holiday and then after that it's onto applying for the army.

I've got a car myself and just wondering what happens with the car when you're doing phase 1 and phase 2 training, have they a place where you do both of them to store the car?, do they charge fee's for it?

second question, can anbody give me a rough time frame of how long it takes, I'll be applying at the End of July so when roughly if it all goes to plan, nice and smoothly will i be starting basic training (phase 1), roundabout October?, November?, December?

Cheers

B Wood

No space for cars at Phase one but it depends on where your going for Phase two and trade training.

Timespan will depend on spaces and how many courses are being run and which ATR you are going too?

thanks for all the answers so far, I don't expect a definite answer, like you said there are so many variables, but could anybody give me a rough-ish idea, say from the shortest they knew, middle of the road to the longest

cheers

B Wood

Shortest I know of is two weeks longest is 18 months sorry best I can do
Have you tried asking your recruiter?

I first walked into the careers office in Jan 2006. Medicals held it up a while, but selection in July, Phase 1 in October, Phase 2 in February and off to regiment in 1 week.

Without knowing what you want to do in the Army I say to you this:

How the **** long is a piece of string?

ben1985 said:
8O Hello,

In 2 weeks I've got a 2 week holiday and then after that it's onto applying for the army.

I've got a car myself and just wondering what happens with the car when you're doing phase 1 and phase 2 training, have they a place where you do both of them to store the car?, do they charge fee's for it?

second question, can anbody give me a rough time frame of how long it takes, I'll be applying at the End of July so when roughly if it all goes to plan, nice and smoothly will i be starting basic training (phase 1), roundabout October?, November?, December?

Cheers

B Wood
Try reading the threads, Ben, and you'll find that you could end up in any one of the Training Regiments, and that could take some time, and you might not pass the selection process in any case. Tell us what you want to do and we might be able to take an educated guess...

Litotes

Ben, no need to wait, get it started now.

As mentioned above, you may end up waiting for paperwork.

Who do you want to join and what as?

Generally if you write to the RSM for the Training Regiment you are going to he will arrange for a parking space to be made available as there only a limited number. Ideally he will also try to allocate you a space closer to your barrack room.

Then again you could do what most other people do and get your arse onto a train.

If you have an MOT you can park it whereever you want outside of a barracks, regardless of what they say within the wire. IE the muppets at leconsfield who say you cannot park outside in the MQ, ...public road....

Can you tell us whay arm/trade you areinterested in - Phase 1 is 14 weeks, and phase 2 varies depending on your trade, technical trades can be 18 mths long and others a few weeks. There are a few basic checks to be done before phase 1 training and you may be delayed waiting a space at phase one for your particular trade. This delay is so that once in you will complete Phase1 and then progress through all elements of phase 2 with as little delay as possible. If you are going for a small trade there may only be one course a year and therefore you would attend a phase 1 course that dovetails in with this trade training.

Hope this helps

DesktopCommando said:
If you have an MOT you can park it whereever you want outside of a barracks, regardless of what they say within the wire. IE the muppets at leconsfield who say you cannot park outside in the MQ, ...public road....
Erm...wrong. The issue with parking on a public road is ensuring you have a valid road tax disc on display in the vehicle. In theory you can park on the married patch but it is a sure fire way not to win friends. Also, in general MQ's out out of bounds to single soldiers and recruits and therefore you would have a few discipline problems. But hey, fill your boots I am only offering my humble advice. I will still be getting paid.