Car scam warning

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Dec 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You've got to love this one, and not sure I wouldnt have fallen for it.

A mate of mine needs six vans, all the same make & model. So he's buying them on eBay. Paying £6-£7,000 each.

He's got 5 when he gets an email, from a girl with an NHS address.

"Do you want to sell a van?"

Well, everything is for sale, so he replies "Yes. £8,000"

A reply comes back from a different email address. "Fine. Give me an address to send the money".

Slight alarm bells. The buyer has not seen the van, had a description nor a pic. But my mate gives them his work address and a cheque for £10,500 arrives. Which he banks. And it clears.

Then he gets another email. "My sister paid you and made a mistake. Can you send £2,500 via Western Union then we will collect the van.

My mate replies "No. You just bought a van for £10,500. Collect it any time you want"

Cue a flurry of emails requesting the £2.5k, the last saying "Keep £500 for your inconvenience".

My mate ignores them. Then TWO WEEKS LATER - the £10,500 is whisked out of his account. Turns out it was a stolen cheque.

You can see the scam - point is - it can take two weeks for them to spot a stolen cheque. According to his bank, most people think they have got a result and send off the £2,500.

Their mistake was mentioning Western Union transfer.

Anybody got a van for sale? Heh.
  2. The same happened to me when I bought a 6 year old girl sex slave. I managed to kick her back doors in though.
  3. TheIronDuke

Bit of a result at £2,500. Is she for sale?
  4. Any Nigerian generals involved?
  5. How much does he want for the van?
  6. You can have her. Her starfish resembles a LASM.
  7. I think it is nearly a year whereby banks can remove credited funds from your account.
  8. He's a tight cnut! Who want to equip a fleet from sh1tbay?
  9. I have a fleet of vans from eBay - very nice they are too.
  10. TheIronDuke

You'd call six vans a 'fleet'?

Gosh, I bet your website is a hoot? No... dont tell me....

You provide SOLUTIONS?

Do you want to buy some fleets? Got some solutions knocking about in the back of the sh*d.

shite. SHITE.

Sorry. SORRY.
  11. There are similar scams coming from Ireland when you put your motor up on Autotrader. I had some dude wanting to send me a cheque with extra on top so that I can ship it myself to him.

You have to be proper mince to fall for it though.

12. Spain too. The explanation is too long and the car too cheap. As they say if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is. At the moment I win the lottery at least once a week (Nigeria). Oh and the new "HMRC" scam for a rebate you didn't ask for - just put your bank details in and .......................
  13. TheIronDuke

Western Union is usually a clue.

Western Union dont usually go to Chipping Sodbury, you know?
  14. They do but WU inter Europe is fcuking expensive compared to to Asia or Africa. That aside you're right about it pointing to a dodgy bit of business.
  15. My wife fell for this, I told her it was a scam but would she listen would she hell.
    But the thing that gets my goat is that she took the cheque into Nationwide and told them all about it and they even got the manager to have a look at the cheque. He says it's genuine and it's banked.
    Ten days later the money disappears out of the account and we get a call from Nationwide informing us that we are under investigation for banking a fake cheque. Well I go ape and tell them in no uncertain terms that they better investigate the branch manager as he was the one who allowed the cheque to be banked.
    To top it all the bastard who sent the wife the cheque emailed her to ask where the car was. :x