Car on fire near St James's Palace in London

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pandaplodder, Jul 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Smoke has been seen billowing from a car on fire near St James's Palace in the Mall, central London.

The Metropolitan Police said officers were dealing with a "potentially serious incident".

London Fire Brigade said they were called to a fire alight in the Mall at 1032 BST.

Two fire engines and 10 firefighters were at the scene. An eyewitness said the fire had been put out and The Mall had been closed by police.

The BBC believes two parked cars are involved.

BBC News - Car on fire near St James's Palace in London
  2. Emergency services rush to car fire near Buckingham Palace

Firefighters and police attended the blaze in The Mall, central London, shortly after 10.15am.

Police closed the road to traffic and pedestrians between Admiralty Arch and the Queen Victoria Memorial.

An eyewitness said officers were also clearing members of the public from nearby Green Park.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers were called to reports of a car fire in The Mall, close to Clarence House.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: ''We were called to a car on fire in The Mall, Westminster, at about 10.15am.''

The police spokesman said: "Police were called at 10.15am this morning to reports of a car on fire in The Mall.

"London Fire Brigade are also in attendance. Road closures are in place. The cause of the fire is not known at this stage."

A spokeswoman at Clarence House, official residence of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, said she was aware of the fire.

She said the blaze was not affecting the property.

Emergency services rush to car fire near Buckingham Palace - Telegraph
  3. Seems like it could be. Cars nowadays do not usually go on fire without good reasons.

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The Ardoyne is a tourist destination with many interesting things to see. Fun for all the family.

So a car has caught fire in central London? I suggest you dial 999 and pick the 'Fire Brigade' option.

Hope this helps?
  5. Nothing to see here...move along...nothing to see here...move along....

6. [QUOTE Originally Posted by TamH70
    Cars nowadays do not usually go on fire without good reasons.][/QUOTE]

oh yes they do - just like one of our clients brand new Masserati's in singapor the other day!!
  7. I ran past it at lunchtime. Still some plod around, but very relaxed. No tape, man in black suits, guns or anything
    There was one burned out old wreck that wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. Then I moved out of the way, and there was only a scorched car.
  8. Not at all surprised one of them goes whoof.

9. Yep, Italian electrics. Bleeding dangerous.
  10. 3 cars totally burnt out. Started near Changing of the Guard time coincedence? I don't think so
  11. Are the Kingo's on public duties?
  12. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You mean a small car fire that started 1hr 15mins before the Changing of the Guard is suspicious? I was there just after it started and it seemed a lot like a small engine fire that then spread to the rest of the car. I suspect AQ and PIRA have bigger ideas than causing mild disruption to a parade. Ask Sefton about that.
  13. shame it didn't happen tommorow
  14. Well, that just about wraps up this's obviously a slow day work.

..we now return to our normal schedule...