Car insurance question

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by longlivethequeen, May 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just bought my first sprogs first car cheap Ford KA very good nick with a years MOT and tax.
    How ever as she is a learner the bloody insurance was £500 to put her on mine Ive put the brum brum in my name.
    Qustion is when she passes her test will it be legal if I keep the car in my name and have her has a second driver even though she will be using it every day to go to collage?
    Any thoughts oh wise arrse members and no I will not post her picture.
    I had a quote from my insurance to have it in her name and had a mini heart attack.

2. Be carefull as one of the declarations to the insurance company will be "who is the MAIN driver/user of the vehicle". Hard to prove I know but it is a get out clause for the insurance company.They all know that good parents do it and will gladly take your money up front but when it comes to making a claim beware (it has happend to people I know).
    Have you tried a quote for her but with YOU as a named driver? This can lower the costs by quite a bit apparently.
    Also bear in mind that she may not be building up her own "No Claims Bonus" whilst she is driving on your insurance.So short term gain could lead to a longer term financial loss.. even more so if she has an accident whilst on your insurance.

3. It would be illegal if you put her as the second driver on your policy and she used it more than yourself.

Be glad shes female, double, triple the price quoted if male.

i had to pay 1300 quid insurance on my first motor when 17(car cost 4k) but then again I live in a bad post code and that was for a 10 month bonus accelerator. Got a couple of NCB now and thankfully below 700 squids for this year.

My advice to you would be contact bell insurance, they simply in my experiance destroy the competition for the cheapest insurance for young drivers. Put her as the main driver then add 2 additional drivers (not 3 as it gets more expensive). The additional drivers should be 50+, 15+ driving experiance, more NCB than the queen and no naughties witt speeding or....
    Make sure they are put down for very occasional use only. Would be shocked If more than £700 (her own policy), would expect more £550.

4. Cheers chaps im going on to the linky thing now sounds like my insurance company are taking me for a ride.

5. HI,

Dealing with the legality and red-tape requirements of filing a car accident claim with your insurance provider can be stressful and frustrating. When you make monthly payments to secure your protection in the event of an accident, there is no justification for your insurance provider's hesitance or negligence to assist you with your claim.

Following an Accident

If you have been involved in an automobile accident, there are several things you should do to ensure that it is handled according to your best interest.

First, verify that all parties involved in the accident are okay. If medical help is needed, dial 9-1-1 immediately. After alerting medical personnel, it is imperative that you contact the police to file a report. Collect all information available to you, including the other party's name, license plate number, and insurance policy information. If possible, obtain the names and phone numbers of any eye witnesses who may be willing to testify about the event of the accident.

Collecting the right information at the scene of an accident can make filing a claim with your (or the other driver's) insurance provider much easier. The sooner you deal with the paperwork, the sooner you can receive compensation for the wreck and put it behind you.

How an Attorney Can Help

If you were recently involved in an automobile accident, but your insurance providers are refusing to assist you with your claim, you may want to hire an experienced insurance claims attorney to defend your rights and entitlements. A lawyer can offer you assistance with the following unlawful practices:

• Unfair denial of an accident insurance claim

• Cancellation of your policy in violation of your contract

• Inadequate defense if you are accused of causing an accident

• Failure to thoroughly investigate an accident

• Unreasonable delays in processing a claim

6. This is good advice.
    I would particularly emphasise the loss of your NCB when sprog has accident.

You as the named driver on sprogs insurance is the way forward.