Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Car insurance - is yours covered whilst on Camp?

If you are no longer serving, or have never served (Stacker), look away now..... however, if currently serving or civilian staff needing to park your motor car on Camp, please see below:

Following some recent incidents it would appear that some UK Motor Car Insurance companies are slipping ‘Military Base Exclusions’ into the small print of their policies. Admiral, for example, apparently list Ministry of Defence premises and military bases under the heading of ‘Hazardous Locations’, as do Aviva, General Accident and AA/Saga. Direct Line have something similar but state, ‘other than in any area designated for access or parking by the general public’, given that Bases are not usually accessible to the general public. First Central list MoD premises as ‘Dangerous Locations’. Several other insurers specify use near, on or around airfields. Worth a check?

This has reared its ugly head following recent claims of vandalism to private vehicles whilst parked on a Camp ‘somewhere in England’. It will have repercussions not only for all those mentioned above but also those who, through no choice of their own, have to live inside the wire.

Interesting indeed.
There is another issue which I suspect is not too broadly known.
If, with many policies, a serving or civvy person uses their vehicle to commute to & from their home, or shop locally, or whatever, fine.
However, if said individuals use their vehicle to go from say barrack to barrack or any other place of work outwith the barracks, use the Queen's Highway, that is business use, and often not covered.
It's all in the size 2 font on page 18 as usual.....or not mentioned at all until claim.

Interesting indeed.
If, with many policies, a serving or civvy person uses their vehicle to commute to & from their home, or shop locally, or whatever, fine.
However, if said individuals use their vehicle to go from say barrack to barrack or any other place of work outwith the barracks, use the Queen's Highway, that is business use, and often not covered.
It's all in the size 2 font on page 18 as usual.....or not mentioned at all until claim.
Indeed. One needs to have Business Use coverage for that sort of thing.

Interesting indeed.
When I was serving I called my insurance companies (Admiral then Hastings) to ask about this - they disagreed with you and said they would class that as commuting & I'd be covered if I had a crash.

It's obviously a individual matter for the companies and is worth checking with whoever you intend to insure through before buying.

Edit: If you are claiming Motor Mileage allowance for a 'duty journey' in your private car you will (and you'll need to have completed a FMT 102) need the business insurance, however - JSP 752 S6.

Last edited:
I asked my insurance company when I used to visit military bases/sites if covered.
I was, but they took an extra £20 off me a year for the privilege.
Bit like you need business insurance for using car in Civil Service to claim travel expenses.

When I was serving I called my insurance companies (Admiral then Hastings) to ask about this - they disagreed with you and said they would class that as commuting & I'd be covered if I had a crash.

It's obviously a individual matter for the companies and is worth checking with whoever you intend to insure through before buying.
The commute usually stops when you do, ie it is cover from your home to a place of work. If you then, during work time and for work reasons, drive to another place of work, you will not be covered.

The commute usually stops when you do, ie it is cover from your home to a place of work. If you then, during work time and for work reasons, drive to another place of work, you will not be covered.
I'll take the advice of the insurance company over an internet person, regarding their policies, thanks.

That why I said people should check with their proposed insurer.

I'll take the advice of the insurance company over an internet person, regarding their policies, thanks.

Many years ago I was insured by Century, who told me if I wore civvies to go to work I was covered if I wore a uniform I wasn't? They put it down to the IRA threats and I accepted that so drove in civvies and change at camp.

Whilst I agree with your general sentiments, in this matter he is correct, and I'd be very wary about what someone said on a 'call' overriding what it says in the small print of policy wording and reasonably big print on their website.

Social Domestic and Pleasure​

The class of use described as Social, Domestic and Pleasure covers the drivers named on the policy for normal day to day driving. Shopping, visiting friends or family and pleasure driving such as going to the park or on holiday. However, it doesn't include commuting to work.

Commuting​

Commuting is the next class up, and covers everything included in Social, Domestic and Pleasure, plus driving to and from a permanent place of work. Driving your car to the train station and leaving it there while you go to work counts as commuting. So does giving someone a lift to their place of work; it's best to check when you get your quote.

Class 1 - business use​

If you're using your car as part of your job, to drive to other sites as well as your usual place of work, this counts as Business use - class 1. It doesn't include commercial use (such as deliveries) or door-to-door selling.

Usually your spouse will also be covered for Business use - class 1 car insurance, but no other named driver. Best to check when you get your quote.

Last edited:
If you are serving on a base operating heavier-than-air machines, make sure you tell your insurer if you are likely to be taking your car airside.

Whilst I agree with your general sentiments, in this matter he is correct, and I'd be very wary about what someone said on a 'call' overriding what it says in the small print of policy wording and reasonably big print on their website.

Social Domestic and Pleasure​

The class of use described as Social, Domestic and Pleasure covers the drivers named on the policy for normal day to day driving. Shopping, visiting friends or family and pleasure driving such as going to the park or on holiday. However, it doesn't include commuting to work.

Commuting​

Commuting is the next class up, and covers everything included in Social, Domestic and Pleasure, plus driving to and from a permanent place of work. Driving your car to the train station and leaving it there while you go to work counts as commuting. So does giving someone a lift to their place of work; it's best to check when you get your quote.

Class 1 - business use​

If you're using your car as part of your job, to drive to other sites as well as your usual place of work, this counts as Business use - class 1. It doesn't include commercial use (such as deliveries) or door-to-door selling.

Usually your spouse will also be covered for Business use - class 1 car insurance, but no other named driver. Best to check when you get your quote.
I checked it against the policy after I bought it. I'd recommend either company in general - all my dealings with them have been good.

Interesting. Im a civialian, always have been, but shoot (pre plague anyway) once a month at Bisley, which i believe is still MoD property. I will have to see if im covered whilst there. Its open to the general public (in that anyone can drive in), dont know if that makes a difference or not

Interesting. Im a civialian, always have been, but shoot (pre plague anyway) once a month at Bisley, which i believe is still MoD property. I will have to see if im covered whilst there. Its open to the general public (in that anyone can drive in), dont know if that makes a difference or not
Check, but you should be ok. The list of offending insurers mostly state, ‘unless access to general public’ or words to effect.

I assume that this is a recent development, as when serving my car was always kept on camp, and my insurers knew this and it didn’t cause any problems what so ever.