Car insurance for 17 year old sationed in Germany

My 17 year old son has just been posted to Osnabruck and wants to get a car. Currently he “owns” a car in the UK but to keep insurance down his older sister (20 and with a good insurance history) registered and insured it with him as a named driver. The only way I can see that he can take the car out to Germany and use it freely without fear of getting pulled is for him to register the car in his name and insure it.

So this is where I come in. I’m trying to find an insurance company that will take him on (3rd party only) and let him drive it in Germany. All the insurers I’ve spoken to so far just laugh!

Seems a little strange to me. The Army taught him to drive a car and a tank yet he can’t get any insurance! Maybe I’m cynical or maybe I’m not looking in the right places.

I will be grateful for any advice.

Have a look at posted to germany

Be aware that BFG have an approved list of insurers and most UK insurers will only offer holiday cover for a short period. His age will count against him as far as the price insurance is concerned.

If he takes a car over there he will have to register it and insure it
Tell your son to sack the car for twelve months, spend every last pfennig / euro on whores and Warsteiner... he'll be happier in the long run :D
Also make sure the car produces less than 64BHP (could be 75BHP, can't remember). Otherwise he will not be able to insure it until he is 25!!

Similar threads

Latest Threads