Car Hire in France

Discussion in 'Travel' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm flying to Grenoble soon and need to hire a people carrier, anyone had any luck over there, it seems most of the big companies want a fortune.

Cheers

WH

2. Not quite what I had in mind, thought I could say the same as thats where my wife is from (and no she's not blonde!)

3. Also looking for best car hire rates etc in France but from Nice airport in April 08.

Any ideas on car hire, rather than who you nailed in a dream some long while ago, would be appreciated.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I would always recommend SIXT.com

Trouble with car hirers is they charge what the local market will support, so DE with fcking millions of private motorists is dirt cheap, UK, FR, CH even more.

ES nice and cheap too.

I use Sixt or Europcar. If you go to forces travel they normally can provide the best rates and the forces discount brochure is very hand for the discount codes.

A TRICK ABOUT HIRING CARS.

TURN UP AT THE COUNTER AND ASK WHAT THEIR WALK-IN RATE IS FOR THE CLASS YOU HAVE SELECTED. if it is cheaper, take the car, if not, use your booking.

I once had a Golf booked at Scouseport and the cost was 180 odd for the weekend, walking in gave it to me for 70.

DISCOUNT RATES aren't always cheaper either so when web booking, use two browsers, one for the man-on-the-street and one for your flight/hotel/airmiles/creditcard discount rate.

You may be surprised.

5. I've had a number of cars in european countries from Alomo via the forces discount page, Very good rates e.g. last 1 I had was an Astra Estate from Duss airport for 115 Euro for 4 days.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I'd hint here that was more due to being in DE than Alamo/Forces Discount. They may have been responsible for the final 10/20 EUR cheapness but the concept of a car for 115 EUR for 4 days exists almost purely in DE (and ES). Haven't checked AT yet though.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Also forget to mention, people carriers are premium vehciles. You may be better off with two cars and two drivers. this includes the fuel costs.