Car Hire in Cyprus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I'm taking the family to Cyprus over Easter. Can anyone recommend a decent car hire company in Larnaca (or indeed, ones to avoid)?

2. TBH mate they are all the same really, all the major rental companies are in the terminal building. The only thing to watch out for is damage when you pick it up (Cyprus my friend!!) They WILL try to gloss over small scuffs etc, so be a bit "****" when you go over it. IMHO, you will get a better price if you book online now, than when you get there, and remember that most of the big renters will not insure you to go into the north, in fact I seem to remember that you cannot cross the border in a hire motor (they have red number plates). Hope this helps

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Thanks - it does. Renting always involves a degree of pain, I'm just trying to minimise it after having to go toe to toe with some Spanish creatures a couple of years ago.

4. if going up north, watch your speed, greek plod target red number plates. holiday tourist = easy cash.................................

5. Another word of advice, if you hire your vehicle in Larnaca DO NOT take into Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - you will invalidate your hire agreement. If that happens you are in shit creek, responsible for repatriating the vehicle and for ALL repair costs - plus you get blacklisted by ALL the hire companies in both sides of the border.