Car Headlights = Road Rage.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Cait, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The headlights on my car are causing serious road rage, they're the bi xenon ones - whatever.

I took a 5hr trip down to wales not so long back and lost count of the amount of people who flashed me, assuming the headlights were on main beam, two people took it upon themsevles to drive up my arrse with their lights on main beam to prove a point too. Im a delicate female and cannot keep doing a Kenneth Noye everytime i venture out in my auto at night.......

So you geeky boffins out there, i know there's nothing wrong with the lights and im sure im not driving with main beam on..... is this common place with these xenon lights???

2. I don't have them, but I have seen them at night and they are damned bright Cait, they almost blinded me...

3. just had a thought, are they adjusted properly??

4. When was the last time you had the beams direction and focus checked? Any garage with MOT equipment can check the beams focus, and adjust if necessary for a few quid - it's a quick enough job. It is part of the MOT check, but may need doing.

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Make sure the beam angle is set correctly. There are enough people on the road these days with Xenon lights that don't cause this angst to suggest that you may have a problem there.

6. Is a spanking new car do i need to do that???

I thought all i needed to do was put that magic go go juice in from the green (thats green not black Cait!) handled spout thing at the garage and drive??

7. Maybe they wern't set correctly in the factory Cait, I agree with in-the cheap-seats, not all of them are a problem

8. Best thing to do when they flash you is pursue them then blind them with a flash of real main beam, thus pointing out they were wrong in previously assuming your driving was at fault, as a finale to your lesson in road etiquette hock a greeny on their windscreen

9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Apparently dirty headlight glass can cause the light to scatter. I only found this out at an MoT as I had aftermarket bulbs fitted and the MoT boffin got terribly excited because I didn't have mandatory headlight washers fitted to prevent the above.

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Get the adjustment checked - it will be under warranty.

If you have one of those big, knobbish 4x4's bear in mind the extra height of the lights which may give others the impression you are on beam.

11. Simple. Check that MDN isnt hiding in your boot

12. Probabally set wrong in the factory then! What kind of car is it (I know, a red one! :D )

It should be easy to check, and to sort out. 10 minute job (20 tops), ask to stay while they do it, take it back to where you bought the car if it's a new one from a main dealer, if they try to charge you tell them naff off. It requires no parts, and about 15 minutes work from the apprentice (including finishing his cup of tea before he starts).

Good luck!

13. I wouldn't be hiding, I'd have a big dayglo arrow poiting at me, mid thrust would see a moonwalk, an erotic lovedance and a smile a Mcleans advert.

14. I get the same problem with my car.

Just ignore them politely flash them back as mentioned above pointing out that the are actually not full beam, for the guys up your ass so to speak, pop your fogs on dab your breaks, take their number plate and report them for road rage to the dibble.

And when they overtake you give them the good news and pop your full beams on pointing out again their error :)

Also check the manual adjustment if you have it, some cars have an adjustment dial which will adujst the position of the lights to compensate for a loaded car, that may help.

15. Black one with four wheels :D No, its a chicks car, Saab 93 2.8T V6 Aero.

I think i'll take it into the garage, it really does cause grief with the lights on at night.

I'd know if MDN was in the boot, the auto leveling would struggle to disguise it if that gimp was in there, the headlights would be pointing skywards.