Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cavemanmufasa, May 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all,
    im due to finish Phase 2 here at bovington soon and will be going to germany for reg...

    ive been asking around etc but can anyone help me with info of what i need to take my car to germany with me? as a MFO and a plane journey wont fit all my gear i want to take...

    I have european cover on my insurance with swinton if that helps...

    any info is appreciated
  2. My bold: helps you not arrsers :roll:

    On a serious note i'd suggest two options:

    Speak to your movement (MT) staff for advice & you never know what you 'may' blaggor get their advice,

    visit 'other' sections of arrse that have similar situations OR have been there & done it so they can pass on relevent info,

    Lastly you could always contact the numerous forces friendly car dealers for info?
  3. 1. Drive to a place called Dover.
    2. Get yourself and car on big floaty thing to Calais.
    3.Drive car off floaty thing, and stay on wrong side of road.
    4.Point car East and drive until the people stop eating frogs and snails.
    5.When the people start to be sausage gobblers you will there.
    Hope this helps. Gute Fahrt
  4. You actually don't need anything...............

    When you get there (having travelled over on your Swinton insurance) you need to go to O'Girkes and get insurance for Germany (pay cash its quicker). Then go to the BFG office where they will sort out your BFG license and advise you where to get your lights changed (european type) and the road worthyness test done (if the vehicle is over three years old.

    You normally get 30 days to get everything done and once your license is back, the BFG office will issue your fuel ration card and BFG number plates. Thats pretty much it I believe.

    Try and get hold of Sixth Sense which is the BFG paper - it has all kinds of useful stuff in it.

  5. Registration Docs.

    Green Card for insurance. Get insurance with a German company when you get there, not NAAFI!

    Look in the Sixth Sence (Newspaper on sale weekly in NAAFI) for 2nd hand LHD headlights, then off to the LAD with a crate to get them fitted.

    Get your motor BFG'd ASAP = cheap fuel, your welfare office will help with this.
  6. As already mentioned, you can drive to Germany with your existing registration & insurance to start with. But the 30 day clock within which time you need to have taken action to register this car on to the local system starts ticking from the minute you get a local camp pass issued.

    Therefore the bigger picture is that I really think you need to decide what your plans are for your existing car.

    Do you want to keep it in Germany or return it to UK. If you are going to keep it in Germany & use it there then there are strict rules you need to comply with as outlined in other posts which will, dependant on age of car, model etc. possibly involve not inconsiderable additional expense. If it is an old car the question is whether it is really worth it & whether you really intend to keep it for a while yet. You need to bear in mind that the military licensing system in Germany is a closed system, once the car is on this system your options to sell the car are largely limited to other people entitled to use the same system in Germany. To sell it to anyone else would require you to go through the whole rigmarole backwards to get it off the military licensing system & back in to the UK dvla system again.

    So my own advice to you is to think through what your longer term plans are for this car beyond just getting you to Germany because it will determine what best to do from there.
  7. Ah you forgot to add the merry dance BFG C & I / VLO will set you on while trying to register the vehicle. Paperwork tennis is to be expected :roll:
  8. You forgot to mention the really helpfull Anne Robinson type licensing clerks lying in wait for him at at his new unit & that he will meet Hitler for the first time when he goes for his roadworthiness test.

    That`s why, as I suggested in my last post, he needs to think through whether he really wants to put himself through all that if it is an old car of no value which he may be planning to dump soon anyway.
  9. You will also need to change the headlights to ones that dip the other way. This can be quite an expensive mod on an older car. However, the hassle isn't as much as some are trying to make out. Provided it can pass the BFG test (headlights, 1st aid kit, tow rope, etc) you should be OK. Bit of a pain with a RHD going in and out of car parks if you haven't got a passenger, mind.
  10. My dog tends to jump into the front of the car when we're moving - he then sits bolt upright on the front passenger seat...............imagine the looks we get from german drivers :)
  11. You are quite correct that is the lie of the land on the German net. However I seem to think the army licensing office just doles out one of these windscreen discs to all army registered cars compliant or not based on the special status agreement in which case this would not be a problem.
  12. That's something else that you will have to stop. It's against the German law to have an ungesichert...sorry, unsecured dog in a car - it is very expensive!

    I would start brushing up on german road signs (das Verkehrsschild) and the different laws of the road over here (Straßenverkehrsordnung, shorted to StVO).
  13. The BFG office will issue you a disc appropriate to your car's emissions when you register it. If it's a portable smoke machine you may not be able to take it into some city centrums!