Car Discounts (no not tax free)`

Discussion in 'Forces Discounts' started by partyr, Oct 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know of any dealership that offer discounts to veterans? Looking into buying a new motor, but any savings would be nice. Any tips/info received appreciated. Ta
  2. You might be better haggling yourself and play a couple of dealers off against each other. Make sure they throw in things like full carpet mats, rear loadspace protector, full tank of fuel or whatever accessory you might want. Look online at wholesalers, barter hard cars are expensive. If you don't get what you want walk away. Discounts for veterans, Nurses, Firemen, Union members etc. etc. are often not cheap to start with. Shop around.
  3. Vauxhall offered me 10% last time I popped in, but you can get a far bigger bargain by buying a pre-registred or ex demo car. My current one, a Honda, was a dealer demo and came with every accessory in the book, built in sat nav, leather, fancy wheels and other goodies and was a 1/3rd off list price in return for one 'owner' in the book and being 9 months old.

ETA: Keep your eyes peeled for the interest free HP deals, may as well spend their money up front than yours.
  4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

BMW give mil discounts (on new cars) to ex Forces. You have to prove it mind, they won't do it on your say so.
  5. Any idea how much discount?
  6. Unfortunately, although the basic price may seem attractive, BMW also charge you for 'extras' which in their terminology seems to include wheels, brakes, a windscreen etc etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I managed to get 12% without really trying, think their default is 10%. That as well as preferential interest rate of under APR 5% made for a tidy deal.
  8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

A given but to be honest not much better than Audi or MB.
  9. That APR is probably as important as the discount. You really have to grind these people down and play one of against another. Interest on loans are quite high lately.
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

At the time I nipped down to my local BMW dealership just to see how the two compared and the monthly payment was different by £200 and the geezer got really cagey with me when I starting asking about APR etc and it turned out he was working on about 11%+. Cnut. He rang me about a week later to see if I'd 'thought about it' and when I told him I got a better deal elsewhere he asked where so I told him. He said it was impossible to compete with mil discounts/deals as a normal dealership.
  11. It could be 99% and I still wouldn't buy another ****ing one.

BWMs are overrated pieces of zero traction shite in the snow, ice, wet and ever so slightly damp.

Edited to add - Don't even get me started on the "but Mr B_H, nobody can repair run flat tyres, you'll have to buy a replacement tyre for £145"

12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

£145? I wouldn't whine about that if I were you, you'd pay that for a decent non-RFT. Some people on the Beemer forums are being quoted £320 - for one tyre. And for what it's worth, I've had two punctures in my RFTs and managed to get them repaired each time for a tenner apiece.

Granted, RWD is shite in the snow but that applies to any car, BMW doesn't have the monopoly on that one.
  13. Agree my Mercedes is the same I've bought snow chains this year. When buying a car you're buying what someone thinks you need. Cars are a big investment it's wise to choose carefully, hire one or get one from a dealer to try.
  14. I did more than whine about it, I almost collapsed through dehydration because of my tears.

I'd replaced all 4 tyres on the car for £550 (Kwik Fit promotion) two days previously. Not 48 hrs later, I then managed to get a screw in the centre of my front offside tyre which cost £145 to replace. Not one garage in a 15 mile radius would repair a run flat.

Then of course there's the rimless windows which don't drop in icy weather making it a tad difficult to open the door, or the fact that the dashboard loves to light up on a random basis with fault warnings which vanish when the car reaches the garage.

I hate BMWs almost as much as I dislike poor people.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Agree about nightmare trying to get RFTs repaired, I tried two High St companies and they wouldn't touch them quoting all sorts of utter shite like it's illegal to repair them (it isn't) and 'it might come back to me' (no more than any other repair). Cockends. Shortly afterwards I was out on the bike pondering spending £300 on a new tyre when perchance I happened across a quiet little tyre company down a country lane. The rest is history, repaired RFT for a tenner. Result. Absolutely no dramas, even smashed down an Autobahn at 140 without any fuss a few months later.

Take it you had a coupe, mines an E91 so no dramas with rimless windows!