Car cutting out

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by cometcatcher, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr. CC Snr. has just asked me about something curious concerning his car (new shape Nissan Micra, 1.2 petrol).

For the last week, the car's engine has been cutting out at the exact same spot on a dual carriageway, meaning a coast into a layby. On stopping, the engine warning light is on, but taking the key out and then re-starting the car solves the problem. Anywhere else, the car runs like a dream, there's just a 50ish yard section of road where the ignition cuts out.

I was thinking RF interference from something nearby killing the ECU- anyone got any ideas?

2. Is this dual carriageway anywhere near Cheltenham?

3. Wasn't there a few experiments that killed cars in a radius around a base, a long time ago?

I could be a bit more vague if you wanted!

4. The car is haunted and must be exorcised by setting fire to it in your nearest council estate.

Serves him right for buying a Nissan Micra in the first place, it's a girls' car.

5. Ask him to take a different route.

Seriously, there is something on the net about a radar station in East Anglia that was accused of killing car ignition systems.

Alternatively, find out where the ECU is, and wrap tin-foil around it.

6. This is happening in rural Northamptonshire.... I will ask CC Snr. for a more precise location next time we talk.

7. Interesting!!! I live around this way and had the same experience this weekend! :-D

Where were you?

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Tell him to remove the "Dogging Locations" Auto Stop command from the Sat Nav!

9. That's the badger!

Why stop at the ECU?

[​IMG]

10. RAF Croughton, just off the A43, it's those pesky Spams I tell ya.

Linkage

I still think trial by fire is the only way...

11. Flowers - this was on the A43 between Towcester and the Blisworth turning, by the large layby (northbound). Anywhere near you?

12. The only thing I can find is Ark Farm Sheep Dairy:

Here

But I'm not sure even ewe's milk is that potent.

13. I know where you're talking about but it didn't happen to me there - spooky though!

14. It is spooky yes, I cannot think of anything nearby which could be causing it.... I'm pretty certain it is RF interence, but I'm at a dead loss as to where it's coming from.

15. Put your foot down as hard as you can and try to get to 30 mph,this hopefully should allow you to get past this troublesome spot,keep rolling and just before you stop try the ignition again,don't worry about the greasy truckers they will be very understanding and allow you plenty of room,good luck my dear