Car cutting out

Mr. CC Snr. has just asked me about something curious concerning his car (new shape Nissan Micra, 1.2 petrol).

For the last week, the car's engine has been cutting out at the exact same spot on a dual carriageway, meaning a coast into a layby. On stopping, the engine warning light is on, but taking the key out and then re-starting the car solves the problem. Anywhere else, the car runs like a dream, there's just a 50ish yard section of road where the ignition cuts out.

I was thinking RF interference from something nearby killing the ECU- anyone got any ideas?

Is this dual carriageway anywhere near Cheltenham?

The car is haunted and must be exorcised by setting fire to it in your nearest council estate.

Serves him right for buying a Nissan Micra in the first place, it's a girls' car.

C

cloudbuster

Ask him to take a different route.

Seriously, there is something on the net about a radar station in East Anglia that was accused of killing car ignition systems.

Alternatively, find out where the ECU is, and wrap tin-foil around it.

Interesting!!! I live around this way and had the same experience this weekend! :-D

Where were you?

cometcatcher said:
Flowers - this was on the A43 between Towcester and the Blisworth turning, by the large layby (northbound). Anywhere near you?
I know where you're talking about but it didn't happen to me there - spooky though!

It is spooky yes, I cannot think of anything nearby which could be causing it.... I'm pretty certain it is RF interence, but I'm at a dead loss as to where it's coming from.

Put your foot down as hard as you can and try to get to 30 mph,this hopefully should allow you to get past this troublesome spot,keep rolling and just before you stop try the ignition again,don't worry about the greasy truckers they will be very understanding and allow you plenty of room,good luck my dear

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Look bloke, I don't want to burst your bubble here, but it's quite simple when you think it through.

1: Nissan Micra is built in factory.
2. None-bespoke parts from other vehicles (like other Nissans are used, including the ECU)
3. Car is bought by, er, a muppet.
4. Car is taken home.
5. Car is started for a journey of say, 5 miles.
6. Car gets 4 mile into journey, ECU warms up.
7. ECU computes engine size and consumption.
8. ECU computes that it is in fact in a Micra.
9. ECU has 'breakdown' and stops car.
10. Always takes the ECU the same amount of time to compute that it's in a shit car, hence breakdown at same location.

All good Biped, except the car was bought new, from the dealer.

And, I've already ribbed CC Snr. enough about buying a Micra :wink:

Edit: Ahhhh I see what you're saying Biped, the poor ECU has dreams of being in a 350Z.....

Happened to me in central Bath near police HQ in my Disco. Recovered by AA and restarted nice as pie once at home. Also happened to a friend with a disco - parked at the same location!! Whooo!

Loads of BMW 7-series conked out near Daventry a few years back - a noted RF hotspot, necessitating a big software AND hardware fix for their fuel management system on UK bound vehicles.

If I remeber there was talk of a similier thing happening in North Yorkshire near the golf balls (for the old ones here) or as it is now a pyramid.

Fiylindales? be the place. Cracking road in a fast car or on a bike.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
cometcatcher said:
All good Biped, except the car was bought new, from the dealer.

And, I've already ribbed CC Snr. enough about buying a Micra :wink:

Edit: Ahhhh I see what you're saying Biped, the poor ECU has dreams of being in a 350Z.....
Preeecisely! :D

Latest Threads