Car Crash

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by DieHard, Dec 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

My daughter and her mate didn't come home last night so I was waiting to rip her head off all morning.
    What I did get was a knock on the door from the police.
    I felt sick and sacred, the police told me they had found a car upside down in a ditch and found her bag in the car as well as her phone with all my missed calls on it.
    They also confirmed it was her mates car who also had not returned home.
    Obviously this got me even more worried because the police couldn't figure out where they were and why we had no contact.
    10 mins after they left my daughter walks in without any idea of what's going on.
    I asked her why she didn't come home and to her credit she didn't try and bullshit me.
    Her mate was driving too fast and lost control on a country lane, ploughing into a ditch and flipping the car. The seatbelts saved them. She said her mate was too sacred to tell her parents and to my disbelief my girl agreed not to call me.
    They had mate who lived in the village half a mile away so went there and stayed the night.
    The police have been to see her mate now and done a breath test. She doesn't drink at all.
    My girl is at work now but left me with the mess of sorting out the problem of telling the Mrs.
    I am glad they are ok but totally pissed off big time.
    Getting two police officers knocking on your door with your daughters handbag and phone is not an experience I would wish on anyone.
    The beasting shall be on a massive scale but mixed with relief that I could of lost my little girl and didn't.
    Oh yes I cried like a baby after the left and couldn't wake up the wife or disturb her brothers. For 10 minutes I aged a lifetime.
  2. Beast her with the force of ten men. She needs to learn that there is a point where you need to come clean with your hands up, especially when it involves Daddy getting the 'knock'.
  3. Feel for you, mate. My daughter is 17 and drives. Every time she is overdue is a nightmare and a relief when she does walk through the door.
  4. My sympathies. I can't imagine how you felt. Console your self that she is not only still there, but unharmed. Perhaps someone else was there, in spirit, when you couldn't be.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. One day she may go through the same level of worry as you. Only then will she fully understand. Stand by for an unusually good present this year though.
  6. Might I suggest a trip from mdn?
  7. You don't need a hand with doing that, do you?
  8. You need to be careful how you react to her.
    Tell how you felt, how worried you were etc.
    Ground her if you have to.
    But get to heavy with the telling off & it may just make her be negative with her response.
    What ever you do good luck.
    Sadly these days kids think they will live forever whatever they do!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. glad to hear she is okay.
    But give her the beasting she deserves.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Be mad at her by all means.

But she will probably need a big hug too, think how terrified she must have been.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Who were you more loyal to in the excitement of the moment as a teenager, your best mate or your parents at home in bed?

With the strain of heeding her pals pleading under panic and knowing waking you and your wife up wasn't going to go down well I suspect she was attempting some misguided damage limitation.

Spare the rod, it's Christmas after all.

It could have been worse, and was hardly your daughters fault directly, she just made a bad call that's all. It's called growing up.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The worst time we ever had with our daughters was when they started to be around lads just turned 17 with cars ...... as soon as each daughter reached 17 we made sure they had a car of their own and were not scared to call me up anytime of day or night for a lift if they felt unhappy about any driver of a car they were in.

You had the best xmas present mate ... your daughter came home ... sadly many don't .

My advice ...... giver her the biggest hug in the world .... hold her tight ....tell her how you felt.... moral blackmail always works better than a beasting.

She will not make the same mistake again ...... she probably shat herself and was in shock.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'd go with the calm, rational explaination of what she put you through.

Not angry, just sad. Break down in tears in front of her too.

I believe it will have the desired effect.
  14. Unlucky, DieHard. At least she's alright and nobody was drinking.

If it's any consolation, I did almost the exact same thing to my dad when I was 18 but in a far more stupid way.

Difference was that I had been drinking quite heavily. I was going through a shit time that I had basically caused all by myself. Lost my girlfriend to another lad, I quit university and was just down and out. Only thing I had going for me at the time was an application to join the police! Not that this mattered after I ended up with a driving offense and was binned.

I took my dad's motor one Saturday night at about 2 in the morning, drunk out of my mind. My mum was staying elsewhere as they were going through a seperation. No idea what I was doing. I was pissed off and bladdered and not thinking right. I was also younger and more stupid than I am now. I drove down the motorway to Kilmarnock and tried to chap up a mate who didn't answer his phone and then decided to drive back.

I understeered at a roundabout and smashed the car into a lampost. Blind drunk, panicking and being quite far from home, I actually rang the cops myself and blubbing like a big baby I confessed to knicking the motor, crashing and being blind drunk. It was hilarious when the Inspector who was getting a lift home that night turned up, pulled me out of the car, breathalised me and had me arrested. They thought I was on drugs because I had called it in myself! Then I was cuffed, chucked into a cell and told to get my head down.

My dad, meanwhile, was woken by a chap at the door at around 6am. Two coppers and no sign that YMP had come home that night! He claims he nearly cried too when he talks about it now. Despite his panick, the rozzers told him that I had been lifted for drink driving and his car had been crashed. The problem was the way that they did it! They came to the door and asked, elusively, if he owned a silver vauxhall astra and if he knew where it was. Dad's like "aye, it's outside" only to see it's not there. Even weird questions like "can you tell us your son's name? Can you tell us where your son was last night? Can you describe what he looks like?" instead of just telling him what happened. He thought I'd been killed.

I remember the desk sergeant coming into the cell with a cup of tea in the morning and sitting next to me. He asked if I had a strained relationship with my dad and stuff, it was all very weird. I later found out that this was for my safety as the old man was allegedly fuming out in the waiting area and the desk sergeant actually had to warn him. "I'm telling you now - if you raise your hands to this lad, I will have to arrest you."

But when I got out he was just happy to see me. Then mum turned up and her being more venomous spent the half hour journey home calling me all the ***** in the world and then basically disowned me for a week.

2 year ban, massive £700 fine (I think part of this included lampost repairs!) and 3 points on the licence to boot. A lesson very well learned by me and I managed to sort myself out afterwards. ******* daft. I can't even imagine what went through the old man's mind throughout the ordeal.
  15. Fixed :cyclopsani:
    • Like Like x 5