Car Breakdown Cover

I've just had a renewal notice from the RAC, which has increased from 11.50 a month to over 16.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to other providers like Green Flag?

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
Might be cheaper to get it through your car insurance. It costs me an extra £5 ish a month.

Chances are, if you can actually be motivated to deal with some clown, that if you call them and tell them to shove it, it'll very oddly become a lot cheaper if not the same.
But Green Flag is mine, although it's a bolt on to my car insurance...and of a basic sort.

Mine comes for free* with my bank account.

*The bank account does cost me a few ob a month, and there are other benefits.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Mine comes for free* with my bank account.

*The bank account does cost me a few ob a month, and there are other benefits.
Paid for banking? Must be over 30 years since I did that. Was starting to get charged for my business account but switched to these folks Starling Bank: Award-winning bank accounts Absolutely brilliant, all online. If I could be fagged I'd switch my personal bank from First Direct to them.

Chances are, if you can actually be motivated to deal with some clown, that if you call them and tell them to shove it, it'll very oddly become a lot cheaper if not the same.
But Green Flag is mine, although it's a bolt on to my car insurance...and of a basic sort.
That is what I did last year and within seconds it came down to less than £100 .

RRV8

GCM
You could try a Nationwide flex account for £13/month which covers breakdown cover, travel insurance and mobile phone cover.

The vehicle and travel cover applies to both UK and European territories.

Molesworth

Old-Salt
I have been with Auto Aid Breakdown for many years. I have used their services twice. The cover is very good value and the service provided was exactly what it said on the tin. Certainly worth a look.

The_Duke

LE
I thought that as of the start of this year, racking the price up from the first year's sub had been made illegal?
The FCA has only banned "price walking" for home and motor insurance at present, so does not apply to breakdown/recovery insurance. Price walking is more than just low pricing for year one to attract new business though - it is about hiking prices year on year for customers who carry on renewing so that in some cases they are paying multiples of a new customer. In effect, punishing loyalty or laziness.

Incentive pricing to make it attractive in year one will always be offset in later years based on the average number of years a customer stays with an insurer. As long as it stabilises at a suitable point and the year 1 price is clearly shown as a new customer discount on the true price then it is not price walking. When price walking is eventually banned for other consumer products, expect year 1 prices to go up, and subsequent year prices to come down slightly so the net cost over their average consumer buying period will remain roughly the same.

Last edited:
My car (2016 Disco Sport and 46,000 mls.) has a major problem with the steering and LR reluctantly issued a recall while extending the warranty to cover the repairs, but unfortunately this does not cover getting the car to the dealer in Glasgow 2.5 hours away. I've been with the AA for donkeys but had not taken out Relay which would have paid for this. Fortunately there's a good local garage and they collected it last night* and delivered it to the dealer this morning.

The garage do recovery for all the big companies and the owner told me the other day (after chiding me for not taking out Relay!) that Britannia were the best to deal with, then AA and Green Flag. He didn't mention the RAC so I've no idea about them.

*There was a nice black Porsche 911 on the truck already and I thought I was getting a swop.

The FCA has only banned "price walking" for home and motor insurance at present, so does not apply to breakdown/recovery insurance. Price walking is more than just low pricing for year one to attract new business though - it is about hiking prices year on year for customers who carry on renewing so that in some cases they are paying multiples of a new customer. In effect, punishing loyalty or laziness.

Incentive pricing to make it attractive in year one will always be offset in later years based on the average number of years a customer stays with an insurer. As long as it stabilises at a suitable point and the year 1 price is clearly shown as a new customer discount on the true price then it is not price walking. When price walking is eventually banned for other consumer products, expect year 1 prices to go up, and subsequent year prices to come down slightly so the net cost over their average consumer buying period will remain roughly the same.

Many thanks for an easy to follow explanation.

I have been with Auto Aid Breakdown for many years. I have used their services twice. The cover is very good value and the service provided was exactly what it said on the tin. Certainly worth a look.
Never heard of them, but look ok at a glance. I need personal cover as I’ve got 8 wheels and do 22-25k pa. Anyone else got anything to say about them?

(…not that a trust a single word of what’s said in the arrseverse)

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
You could try a Nationwide flex account for £13/month which covers breakdown cover, travel insurance and mobile phone cover.

The vehicle and travel cover applies to both UK and European territories.

And have just switched to the AA as the provider.

Some car manufacturers give free cover if you have your car serviced by an authorised dealership, both our Ford and Volvo do, you may have to ask for it as it not well advertised.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Some car manufacturers give free cover if you have your car serviced by an authorised dealership, both our Ford and Volvo do, you may have to ask for it as it not well advertised.
Mercedes do, but dealership servicing is expensive. There are 2 independent merc servicing garages in my area. Merc trained staff using original merc parts, about 1/3rd to a half cheaper.

Latest Threads