Car bomb explodes in Newry

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Romeo_47, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I thought I would share this as it is only breaking news according to the BBC.

Linky

2. That nice Mr Gerry Adams (Gearóid Mac Ádhaimh) was on TV the other night talking about the Bible and Jesus and things like that and then this bomb goes off. He is often remembered for his - "They haven't gone away you know" remark. Do you think that this bomb and the sainted Mr A appearing on TV are related? Oh I nearly forgot he was nothing to do with the IRA was he, he was Sinn Fein?

3. Check the Inspectors name out and how apt it is...

Condemning the attack, Chief Inspector Sam Cordnor said: "At this stage we are working to make the area safe and calling in experts to collect any evidence.

4. In Keady it took a long time before the area was closed off.

But I cant make much speculation as the station is only part time. The closest would be Armagh but it does not take hours.

5. well if they had int on a possible secondary device i would take my time! :)

6. Lies - The Peace Process was a success!

7. In Keady it took along time for anything to happen as the RUC were always asleep or had buggered off to Middletown without telling us! :rmp:

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I was in Newry in 1971, when we put internment on. The RUC were very good there. But it is a nasty, nasty place. I had had tours in Belfast, Londonderry and other parts of the province, but Newry was the worst of them all. It was non-stop, and there was precious little support from anyone there.

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I read on the news the other day that those little mirrors we got issued with in Germany for looking under your car for UVIED's are now being issued to PSNI Officers & civvie staff.

10. ...........so, let me get this right: on 26 Sep 2005, Gen John de Chastelain and his colleagues reported that they were "...satisfied that the arms decommissioned represent the totality of the IRA's arsenal". Amongst this stuff was an estimated 3 tonnes of Semtex (as assessed by Jane's Intelligence). In February this year, both INLA and OIRA announced that they had completed decommissioning.

Where did this nasty, bangy stuff come from then? The tooth fairy?. Or (whisper it softly) could it be that the nasty little scutters have been lying through their back teeth?

As an aside, I was at a Regimental beerfest last month and got into conversation with a new Sgt. Splendid chap, he is: clear eyed, square jawed and clean limbed -keen, professional and smart as paint, Jim lad. Yaargh.

But he cast me a glance that is usually reserved for really old people who fart when they sneeeze when I began banging on about service in Norn Iron: we worked out that he was nearly 13 when LBdr Restorick was killed at Bessbrook in 1997. He has no experience and little knowledge of the province and its problems. I was left with the sad thought that the qualifying dates for GSM 1962 w/c 'Northern Ireland' may have to be reviewed.

11. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

That is a little unfair. Things have changed somewhat in the past 20 years.
    3 Years ago I spent christmas with all my family in a place not too far around the coast from there. In the week leading up to it I took them out evening shopping in Belfast (didn't feel too safe there) Portydowan (definately didn't feel comfortable there) and finally Newry. The latter won hands down in my view.There were families out shopping together, The young people still show respect, I was happy to leave my car in the car park english plates and all, and I even popped into the bar opposite Buttercrane for a pint before I went home. I have tried this in both of the other places in the past and always have an eye for the nearest exit.
    I am not saying tha Newry is a safe haven utopia but it is far from the worst place nowadays.
    I hope there are no stupid fuxers on the opposing side who feel like retaliating.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It may well have improved/changed in the last 20 years, but in 1971 was a most unpleasant place. I seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time leading patrols around the Derrybeg estate and being covered in effluent.
    But, that was then, this is now, so I can't comment on present matters.

13. I'm surprised you didn't feel safe in Belfast.

None of the above is incorrect or inaccurate, and you can certainly go for a pint in Newry in comfort (with some care as to which pub) but it's still a nasty place.

14. Very true. I lived in the province for over five years but I constantly have to remind myself that I left NI for NL TWELVE years ago and what it was like then, is not necessarily what it's like now.

Newry has a few problems with muggings and particularly in or around the Buttercrane but it's no different to any other towns and/or cities in NI.

15. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I had nephews neices and grandchildren with me at the time. I was not too concerned about leaving tem on their own for a wee while in the shopping centre in Newry, (they all have mobiles), the same could not be said for castle court or that shiithole in portydown.

I quote Mrs Barnowl on her first visit to Belfast in 1991, "look,theres a cheaper one than you can buy in the NAAFI". This was in smithfield market so quick about turn and scurry back to royal avenue.