Car audio system upgrade , where do you spend your money ?

I know very little about car audio systems other than what sounds good when I listen to it, I`ve no idea what the latest in thing is or what the latest systems can do other than produce music , so my my question to the knowledgeable Arrser`s is where is your money best spent ? Head unit ? amps? speakers? everything? , how much do you need to spend to get better than average sound ? wheres best to buy?

I know very little about car audio systems other than what sounds good when I listen to it, I`ve no idea what the latest in thing is or what the latest systems can do other than produce music , so my my question to the knowledgeable Arrser`s is where is your money best spent ? Head unit ? amps? speakers? everything? , how much do you need to spend to get better than average sound ? wheres best to buy?

Head unit, single DIN or double?
Modern car speakers are fairly decent nowadays so depending on what you're looking sound wise would determine what else you'd buy.
Nice full range audio or chavtastic rattling bass can?

Head unit, single DIN or double?
Modern car speakers are fairly decent nowadays so depending on what you're looking sound wise would determine what else you'd buy.
Nice full range audio or chavtastic rattling bass can?
No bass can nonsense thank you , more Radio 2 and 4 , Classic FM and maybe some of the digital ones.

I'd spend it in the pub.

No bass can nonsense thank you , more Radio 2 and 4 , Classic FM and maybe some of the digital ones.

What wagon are you looking at sticking it in too?
Anything with dab+ will sound much clearer you may need to add an additional aerial if your existing car one is a powered type but they're pretty discreet.

What have you got just now? TBH modern DAB head units, even mid-range, are pretty dammed good.
In a confined space, it's a black art (and expensive) to gain appreciable audio gains.
For what it's worth, the guys in my Roadster OC tend to upgrade speakers as even the standard BOSE ones are not really that great. We tend to have the door cards off, and apply quality anti-thrum & accoustic paddings ( heavy through the need to be dense) but that is because our cars have been master class in weight saving for 30 years.
Also depends on your listening preferences eg classic, talk shows, or rock 'n roll.

I planning on putting it in a RR Classic 300tdi if the deal comes off so it will be a scratch start system , I`m trying to put some costings together .

Store and stream your music from your phone. Get the biggest SD card you can afford. Store the music in the largest file size for best audio quality.
You only need to update one device.
You can also stream internet radio stations.

If your driving a banger, speakers would be the first thing I would change ensuring they were compatible with any head unit I had my eye on.

I would never pay extra for DAB again.

edit.....
If you change the head unit check you wont loose steering wheel controls etc. You can usually get an extra module to keep them working.

Last edited:
I use hire cars when I come back to the UK.

I was amazed by the concept of ‘Apple Car Play’ which I’d never seen before.

Not only does it seamlessly take all your music from your phone*, it enables you to use Google Maps directly, thus negating the need for a separate Tom Tom or relying on crappy bespoke sat nav.

From a music point of view, it makes the input 500% easier.

Most units that have car play seem also to be DAB

But they require a bigger slot than previous ‘standard’ car radios.

* I’ve also upgraded my phone to one with 256 gb of storage, so I now have my entire music collection with me.

I use hire cars when I come back to the UK.

I was amazed by the concept of ‘Apple Car Play’ which I’d never seen before.

Not only does it seamlessly take all your music from your phone*, it enables you to use Google Maps directly, thus negating the need for a separate Tom Tom or relying on crappy bespoke sat nav.

From a music point of view, it makes the input 500% easier.

Most units that have car play seem also to be DAB

But they require a bigger slot than previous ‘standard’ car radios.

* I’ve also upgraded my phone to one with 256 gb of storage, so I now have my entire music collection with me.

When you hand your hire car back make sure you go through the settings on the car computer,and reset/delete to default. Think of car computers as being like GCHQ and the NSA in that they Hoover everything out of your phone. You might be amazed at the hard disks hidden behind a car dashboard nowadays. Manufacturers are gathering information about you: gps destinations; routes; calls made and numbers calls made to; stops and duration; etc.

If you do not reset/delete you are effectively handing your phone and contents over to a stranger every time you hire a car, or take it in for a service.

Edit to add now that I am off the mobile with fat fingers: The whole apple car play thing in cars can more or less clone your entire phone into the car. Not so much photos, but contacts, messages, notes, routes, addresses, etc, etc, etc, we had quite a long thread on another forum I visit about the subject. Not only do the car makers get the info/data stashed on behind the dash hardrives, but the likes of @pple, get to watch your travel arrangements too.

I became aware of the whole in car 'spying' thing about a year ago when I was driving through Dallas minding my own business and my GPS suddenly flashed up that 'Mr XYZ' was trying to to bluetooth link to my GPS. Why? It is an opening if you have a couple or three bluetooth links across phone - GPS - car, it is a hackers back door. In the car I just plug my phone into the cigarette lighter like I always have previously (not into the car computer) and I have found the method for deleting the GPS journeys on the in car GPS - so that Mercedes cannot sell Kentucky the information that I rather visit In n Out Burger instead, and tell Tesco I shop at Sainsbury.

@CptDanjou cars are not the Sydney opera, or covent garden, and car stereos are reasonably good nowadays. As the cheap alternative to try first: Run around and use the existing stereo as is for a couple of weeks; then get some sound insulation and put it in behind the door card speakers and rear speakers. This should improve sound quality somewhat by preventing sound going out the back of the speakers and having an infintisimal echo bouncing off the car doors and rear tailgate and baggage area making it all sound a bit tinny.

Back in the day I had a friend who was a serious stereo affcionado, his speakers were loaded with sand ballast in the bases to prevent vibration and had rockwool, or similar, lining the inside of the speaker cabinets to prevent omni directional sound leakage and echo effect.

Last edited: