Car air filter

P

PrinceAlbert

I need to make an air filter for my hotrod.

The air trumpet on top of the carbs needs a new gause filter.

Anyone know where I can buy the foam/gause so I can cut to fit?

I've looked online and found all sorts of filters, but none that look as though I could modify them to fit.

C

cloudbuster

So that's the real reason you want a flying suit. So you can emulate that famous stumpy gay icon Cruise. :)

P

PrinceAlbert

cloudbuster said:
So that's the real reason you want a flying suit. So you can emulate that famous stumpy gay icon Cruise. :)
Errrrr.....if I knew what the Stumpy gay icon cruise was??

PrinceAlbert said:
cloudbuster said:
Errrrr.....if I knew what the Stumpy gay icon cruise was??
Errrr.......this one?

Thomas Cruise Mapother IV

I was going to try and help you with the air trumpet but you said the flying suit I found was crap (and out of stock). :wink:

? Odd one for the NAAFI mate... :?

Trying to think of strange connotations for "carb trumpets" and "gauze".. :twisted:

However at the risk of a WAH... :roll:

The plastic foam you want for an air filter is what is known as "open cell retculated" foams...

Normal "sponge" foam that you would use in the bath or in a matress will not work..

This is the sort of thing you want...

http://www.intecfoams.co.uk/filtrationfoams.php?gclid=CK78wP65kZwCFU0B4wodIT5AdA

You might also be able to get some from a pond filtration or aquarium supplier..

The other alternative is a metal filter. In the past these used to be made from fine mesh chicken wire coated in thick oil. Make up a donut of mesh to fit the filter body and dip it in motor oil, let it drain on a bit of kitchen paper and then fit. The oil traps the dust particles. To clean, dip in petrol and light - the oil will burn off and you can shake off what dust is left. Reoil and refit... :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke Travel 10
Infiltrator Travel 10
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 91