Car air filter

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by PrinceAlbert, Aug 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to make an air filter for my hotrod.

The air trumpet on top of the carbs needs a new gause filter.

Anyone know where I can buy the foam/gause so I can cut to fit?

I've looked online and found all sorts of filters, but none that look as though I could modify them to fit.
  2. So that's the real reason you want a flying suit. So you can emulate that famous stumpy gay icon Cruise. :)
  3. Errrrr.....if I knew what the Stumpy gay icon cruise was??
  4. Errrr.......this one?

Thomas Cruise Mapother IV

I was going to try and help you with the air trumpet but you said the flying suit I found was crap (and out of stock). :wink:
  5. ? Odd one for the NAAFI mate... :?

Trying to think of strange connotations for "carb trumpets" and "gauze".. :twisted:

However at the risk of a WAH... :roll:

The plastic foam you want for an air filter is what is known as "open cell retculated" foams...

Normal "sponge" foam that you would use in the bath or in a matress will not work..

This is the sort of thing you want...

You might also be able to get some from a pond filtration or aquarium supplier..

The other alternative is a metal filter. In the past these used to be made from fine mesh chicken wire coated in thick oil. Make up a donut of mesh to fit the filter body and dip it in motor oil, let it drain on a bit of kitchen paper and then fit. The oil traps the dust particles. To clean, dip in petrol and light - the oil will burn off and you can shake off what dust is left. Reoil and refit... :wink:
  6. Going for max exposure. Given the Intec people a ring, and left a message. Cheers