Captured marines were gathering intelligence on Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_0ne, Apr 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. That'll help his career.
  3. Sky News! Audio visual toilet paper and murdoch propaganda all rolled into one.
  4. Naive for anyone to imagine there wasn't an Int. element in their work. Everyone observes and reports, at the very least. And that constitutes Int.-gathering.

It is faintly absurd of Five TV et al. to claim they were doing anyone a favour by "suppressing" any mention of intelligence for the past fortnight. If that's the biggest favour they can do servicemen in danger, they should be rather ashamed.

There was a time when no UK news outlet would have made such a daft claim - but nowadays there are virtually no ex-service people working in the policy-making levels of the meeja.
  5. WTF is the problem. Of course information collection is a normal function of patrolling by land or sea. Hardly 'spying'. Get a grip.
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

7. I just heard a news report in which his magnificence the Rt Hon TB Liar is interviewed and attributes the release of the captives to "bilateral dialogue".

Errr ... I thought that dialogue was, by its very nature, bilateral. Who writes all this drivel the Messiah spouts?
  8. The sad fact is that today's service personell are sent to "war's" that the people of this country do not support and into countries where there is significant opposition to their presense. They are sent by a government that underfunds them and does not respect them or their families unless they are captured, injured or god forbid killed and then there is a public show by the politicians which is nothing more than a parroted version of "what to say if....happens".
    They are also villified in the media if anything that can be construed as negative comes to light with facts often mis-reported. Whilst anything heroic they do or tragic that befalls them is nothing but a 5 minute soundbite. This in turn leads some of the public to think that service personell are either toffs or yobs.

Misunderstood by the public at large
    Misrepresented by the media
    Mistreated by the government
    So basically fu**ed from all sides.
  9. No, go on, explain yourself.
  10. blue-sophist

OK. Sky News [the definitive article] quotes our men as [paraphrase] "out there spying". Any operation, as a collateral input, "gathers information". I walk past Badger Barracks, note that there's only one MoD Plod on the gate ... that's information, but not spying - unless I went with that intention.

If you think that's spying, take another pill. Our people's task was NOT spying, or gathering Int ... it was a convenient collateral input.

11. It seems we are making exactly the same point. I'm glad I asked you to clarify. Your comment "borrocks" followed my own post. Cheers.
  12. OK, it's a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but I seem to remember that the whole point of patrolling was was to dominate ground and gather intelligence about strengths & dispositions.

It's certainly not spying - that's just typical emotive journalese. Those boys and gals were just there doing the job they draw their pay for & playing by the rules. Without a ref & linesmen it's going to be impossible to stop the Iranians from cheating. They did it before, they'll do it again.
  13. zactly. We all agree... eventually... I hope.
  14. blue-sophist

We're cool! ;-)
  15. Glad that's over with. Where's next then?