Captured German U-Boat, U 570. HMS/M Graph (A Question)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by roister2, Feb 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have already put this to the Rum Ration site, but here goes anyway.
    Does any one know of the history of this U-Boat captured by the RN and used against its former owners?
    I know it was renamed HMS Graph. I would like to know about her British crew and the fate of her German crew. All help is ,well, helpful.
  2. Have you tried the Submarine Museum in Gosport? They could know about it, or know someone who will.
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

All I can tell you was that it was mentioned in "One of our Submarines", Pelican No 1000 IIRC, by Edward Young, the first wavy navy officer to command an RN submarine.

ISTR (I have a very tatty, very well-read AFAIK First edition paperback at least pre-dating 1966) that U570 was attacked by a Coastal Command Catalina which then circled until surface vessels could effect the capture.

It wasn't a big or useful reference and I cannot really remember cos the book is so old and tatty, it'll likely disintegrate if I take it from the bookshelf, but the book is still available from Amazon:
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

5. captured subs
  6. Anyone else think Graph was a stupid name for a submarine?
  7. I think U570 was moored near Barrow-In-Furness for a period during 1941/1942, before it was repaired and recommissioned as HMS Graph. I thought it was captained by Kapitan-Leutnant Rahmlow who surrendered after U-570 was crippled from depth charges dropped by a Hudson Aircraft of Coastal Command. Rahmlow was knocked out in the depth charging and the very green crew resurfaced and surrendered. Very interesting note (to me) Rahmlow faced a 'Council of honour' whilst a POW instigated by Kapitan-Zur-See Otto Kretschmer, (the top scoring U-Boat ace of the war and later NATO Chief of staff). Rahmlow was ex-communicated from the rest of the German prisoners and spent the rest of the war a very lonely man.
  8. I dunno - starts at the Axis and goes up and down?
  9. Good God man, that's awful :lol:
  10. ...but true and somewhat punny.
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The is a book I have called "U-Boat977" by Heinz Schaeffer which is a true account of the authors time as a U-Boat captain in wwII. He ,at the time of writing, was living in Argentina.
    If you can get hold of a copy,it's well worth it.

12. I seem to recall there is also a more recent book called "The Fuhrer led - but we overtook him" written by a crewman of said HMS/M Graph.
  13. There is a book called 'Her Majesty's U Boat' which gives a good account of the career of HMS Graph. Incidentally, the son of the RN Lt Comd who commanded the boat is a serving senior officer in the Army.