Captains Seats in MPV's

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by bigjimdangley, Sep 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wotcha!
    I've just acquired a Citroen Synergie off a mate. The driver and passenger "captain," seats revolve through 360 degrees, so you can face backwards and have a picnic etc when parked up.
    The seatbelts aren't integral to the seat and are mounted on the door pillars, so when the seats face rearwards the belt cannot be used. What I want to know is would it be legal for the front passenger seat to be facing rearwards (not the drivers-obviously) while the car was moving? So Mum could face baby-so to speak.

Thankyou for your replies in advance to my fairly bone question!
  2. At a guess, no, it wouldnt be legal. Does it mention this use in the handbook?
  3. It's illegal as they aren't wearing a seatbelt. I have a different model and I think it even says in the handbook not to travel with the seats facing the rear.
  4. Same with a motorhome. Seat belts must be worn at all times when the vehicle is in motion, the only exception is that the driver is not required to do so if reversing.
  5. how about put mum in the back seat, then turn the chair around and use a baby seat in the front seat?
  6. HHH

HHH LE

You still need a seatbelt for the baby seat.
  7. Cheers everyone. I don't reckon it's legal either. Thankyou all for your answers.
  8. Then why did you ask??? :)
  9. Dunno really. Bored I suppose. I was thinking it might be legal but the seatbelt thing made me question it, so I wanted a wider opinion. In my defence I knew it was a bone question to start with.
    If the seat belt was integral to the seat, so the lot moved a you span the seat around, would that make the seat positioning legal facing rearwards?
    And yes, I'm having a slow day.....;-)
  10. A couple of answers from a Website that knows about this sort of thing:

Hope that helps!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If you're that desperate, get your missus up the duff again, wait about six or seven months, then get her to visit her GP and obtain a medical exemption certificate on the grounds of advanced pregnancy from having to wear the seatbelt.
    • Like Like x 1