Captains b@llocking Warrant Officers

Good Morning Sirs, Ma'ams and please excuse my intrusion onto this hallowed turf.

I'd like to ask your ( collective ) opinion please of an occurance where a WO2 in No. 1 Dress turned up at the TAC that used to be his unit location ( now with another capbadge altogether ) in order to lay a wreath on Remembrance Day. The TAC houses a Regimental Memorial.

The PSAO had not been informed of his visit ( although the unit had ) and I gather berated him publically for being there without his knowledge.

In fairness to the unit concerned ( and I'll not name them ) their OC wrote to the WO2s OC to apologise; but is this behaviour of the PSAO ( A Captain ) the done thing?

Thanks in advance.

pensionpointer said:
Sounds completely out of order to me, unless the WO in question was rude or disrespectful.
I agree...totally bad form on behalf of the PSAO, one hopes he was brought to task about it!

Although.....permanent staff v STAB? I rest my case, sometimes the respect is just not there! IMHO and not in every case, having worked with lots of regs, I get 'You're not bad for a stab!' regularly....I take it as a back-handed compliment!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Bravo_Bravo said:
Good Morning Sirs, Ma'ams and please excuse my intrusion onto this hallowed turf.

I'd like to ask your ( collective ) opinion please of an occurance where a WO2 in No. 1 Dress turned up at the TAC that used to be his unit location ( now with another capbadge altogether ) in order to lay a wreath on Remembrance Day. The TAC houses a Regimental Memorial.

The PSAO had not been informed of his visit ( although the unit had ) and I gather berated him publically for being there without his knowledge.

In fairness to the unit concerned ( and I'll not name them ) their OC wrote to the WO2s OC to apologise; but is this behaviour of the PSAO ( A Captain ) the done thing?

Thanks in advance.
My bold.

The PSAO should have been taken out the back for a good shoeing. What a fcuking throbber.

Remembrance Day was 8 months ago, let bygones be bygones. I am sure the Warrant Officer has forgotten all about the "incident" and the Captain berated himself after the fact for being a "c0ck".

Regards

Giles

Depends on what you're getting at. It IS appropriate for a captain to bollock a WO. Particularly in the case of a PSAO, who is likely to have been a WO1 at some earlier point in his career!

In terms of the actual incident, if I were the Captain, I think I'd have held my tongue, though to be fair it would seeem to be the correct ettiquette to phone someone to let them know you're coming round.

What exactly do you mean by bollocking? A loud and assertive dressing down? Or a quiet word? Or a quiet word that turned into something louder?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Like my bold pointed out - perhaps at any other time, he might have taken him to one side and b0llocked him - but when he's turned up to pay his respects to the fallen? FFS!

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Based on the scant evidence here, my preferred course of action would be to let the WO lay his wreath, then invite for a chat in a quiet place to find what the score is.

If he is taking the pi$$ a bit (i.e had no had the courtesy at all of informing anyone of his arrival), a gentle nudge to remind him that he is not the be all and end all would be sufficient. If he had told someone, I would check with them and if he had then put it down to comms breakdown, it happens. If he just turned up after checking, a firmer but not loud political re-education would suffice. It does not do (and is ungentlemanly) to go round having public Sad-Ons with SNCOs in public. Indeed, I have met LEs with better manners than some DEs and they should know better; this PSAO, I expect, falls into the LE category and certainly should remember that a WO1 he is no longer, he has his own to do the shouting for him. The boys don't like it and everyone will think you are a throbber even if you are right.

My 2p's worth.

msr said:
So, some one random turns up, claims to be from this unit and demands right of accces into someone else's TAC.
Gordon Ramsey said:
If he is taking the pi$$ a bit (i.e had no had the courtesy at all of informing anyone of his arrival)
BB said:
The PSAO had not been informed of his visit (although the unit had)
The excellent chef in our midst is correct in that a quiet word in order to suss out what was going on should have been the order of the day.

Thanks gents.

I know the WO2 in question, he is well regarded by his CO and is a very polite chap.

He was in No. 1 Dress with medals carrying a wreath which is a bit of a combat indicator, and I'd fully expect him to have carried his MoD 90.

@ Jelly Fish - I gather it was not the quiet variety, I'm afraid; certainly seems to have been in public. I know some time has elapsed but by refraining from asking the Q until now, I can write with less polemic than maybe I would have otherwise!

As I see it, the majority of PSAO's are ex rankers scared of venturing into the real world and as a result they develop a certain agrophobia where the little world that they have created in their TACs becomes the focus of thier lives. Any intrusion, well intended or not, often shifts their mental inbalance to a sort of OCB where anger replaces reason, a common reaction when they see that something is out of place.

BB - are you talking about the Tower Hamlets Rifles memorial at Mile End?

TheSpecialOne said:
As I see it, the majority of PSAO's are ex rankers scared of venturing into the real world and as a result they develop a certain agrophobia where the little world that they have created in their TACs becomes the focus of thier lives. Any intrusion, well intended or not, often shifts their mental inbalance to a sort of OCB where anger replaces reason, a common reaction when they see that something is out of place.

BB - are you talking about the Tower Hamlets Rifles memorial at Mile End?
I think you do PSAOs a dis-service: many of them venture on the golf course on a regular basis

Mr Happy

LE
All seems very strange to me, I have seen a WO once in 15 years get a bollocking. And that was a WO2 (CSM) getting it from a WO2 (WTWO) over me as it happened :)

Quite why anyone wants to bollock anybody for rocking up and laying wreaths is a bit beyond me though, I mean, what, was the WO2's wreath lopsided thus ruining the unit's ensemble? I mean, we're talking about the fallen here right?

Was this, OOI, a London TA unit?

PSAO - let's face it, it must be grindingly hellish, a world of pay disputes, part-time civilian secretaries and overflowing ashtrays. I threw a massive insubordinate wobbly with one and had him back off. My pal passed SAS(R) by a long way because "Truckie", the w*nker PSAO, made a point of having him into the office to tell him that he wouldn't pass.

So, knowing absolutely nothing about the details or the personalities involved I'm prepared to leap to the conclusion that the WO should have slapped his goolies and then flatly denied it :D

[joke]

Bravo_Bravo said:

Thanks in advance.

You can not assume the PSAO was ever a WO1 or even WO2, the problem was that his Unit were informed (and would have agreed) but the message was never passed on to him. His nose was probably out of joint as his sub Unit have obviously cut him out of the loop.

As is the case with a lot of PSAOs they have a job for life and in most cases have been in the Unit so long the have been added to the inventory, some are so old and settled in their secure little world that they see any visits as an intrusion into that worlds, and the presence of regular soldiers as a mere inconvenience . I hope the letter to his CO may act as a wakeup call to the CO that dinosaurs do still roam the Earth.

Latest Threads