Captains b@llocking Warrant Officers

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning Sirs, Ma'ams and please excuse my intrusion onto this hallowed turf.

I'd like to ask your ( collective ) opinion please of an occurance where a WO2 in No. 1 Dress turned up at the TAC that used to be his unit location ( now with another capbadge altogether ) in order to lay a wreath on Remembrance Day. The TAC houses a Regimental Memorial.

The PSAO had not been informed of his visit ( although the unit had ) and I gather berated him publically for being there without his knowledge.

In fairness to the unit concerned ( and I'll not name them ) their OC wrote to the WO2s OC to apologise; but is this behaviour of the PSAO ( A Captain ) the done thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sounds completely out of order to me, unless the WO in question was rude or disrespectful.

uqfegd

pp

3. I agree...totally bad form on behalf of the PSAO, one hopes he was brought to task about it!

Although.....permanent staff v STAB? I rest my case, sometimes the respect is just not there! IMHO and not in every case, having worked with lots of regs, I get 'You're not bad for a stab!' regularly....I take it as a back-handed compliment!

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold.

The PSAO should have been taken out the back for a good shoeing. What a fcuking throbber.

5. Remembrance Day was 8 months ago, let bygones be bygones. I am sure the Warrant Officer has forgotten all about the "incident" and the Captain berated himself after the fact for being a "c0ck".

Regards

Giles

6. Depends on what you're getting at. It IS appropriate for a captain to bollock a WO. Particularly in the case of a PSAO, who is likely to have been a WO1 at some earlier point in his career!

In terms of the actual incident, if I were the Captain, I think I'd have held my tongue, though to be fair it would seeem to be the correct ettiquette to phone someone to let them know you're coming round.

What exactly do you mean by bollocking? A loud and assertive dressing down? Or a quiet word? Or a quiet word that turned into something louder?

7. A public b@llocking of a WO2 is out of order.

If there was any reason to b@llock him, then it should have been done in private.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Like my bold pointed out - perhaps at any other time, he might have taken him to one side and b0llocked him - but when he's turned up to pay his respects to the fallen? FFS!

9. The Capt should be made to write the letter of apology to the WO2 rather than the OC to the OC. What a chopper.

10. The PSAO clearly has a small penis and over inflated ego. What he should have done was make him a brew, it's not as if they do much else.

11. msr

msr LE

So, some one random turns up, claims to be from this unit and demands right of accces into someone else's TAC.

Mmmm

12. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Based on the scant evidence here, my preferred course of action would be to let the WO lay his wreath, then invite for a chat in a quiet place to find what the score is.

If he is taking the pi$$ a bit (i.e had no had the courtesy at all of informing anyone of his arrival), a gentle nudge to remind him that he is not the be all and end all would be sufficient. If he had told someone, I would check with them and if he had then put it down to comms breakdown, it happens. If he just turned up after checking, a firmer but not loud political re-education would suffice. It does not do (and is ungentlemanly) to go round having public Sad-Ons with SNCOs in public. Indeed, I have met LEs with better manners than some DEs and they should know better; this PSAO, I expect, falls into the LE category and certainly should remember that a WO1 he is no longer, he has his own to do the shouting for him. The boys don't like it and everyone will think you are a throbber even if you are right.

My 2p's worth.

13. The excellent chef in our midst is correct in that a quiet word in order to suss out what was going on should have been the order of the day.

14. Thanks gents.

I know the WO2 in question, he is well regarded by his CO and is a very polite chap.

He was in No. 1 Dress with medals carrying a wreath which is a bit of a combat indicator, and I'd fully expect him to have carried his MoD 90.

@ Jelly Fish - I gather it was not the quiet variety, I'm afraid; certainly seems to have been in public. I know some time has elapsed but by refraining from asking the Q until now, I can write with less polemic than maybe I would have otherwise!

15. I have just noted the No1 Dress statement. Perhaps this was the issue as most wreath laying ceremonies are No 2 Dress.

uqfegd

pp