Captain Pugwash

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by ExPadBrat, Mar 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone remember ALL the characters names from the original series? You may well be awarded a pint if I win the argument!!
  2. I think the crew was Barnabas, Tom the cabin boy, Master Mate and Pirate Willy

Did you want any others?

Apart from Cut-throat Jake of course. :D
  3. Captain Pugwash
    Master mate
    Pirate barnabas
    Pirate willy
    Tom the cabin boy
    Cut-Throat Jake

Edited to add....You beat me to it SCoy
  4. There was Master Bates the Cabin Boy!
  5. I always thought it was Roger the Cabin Boy :lol:
  6. I only know Captain Pugwash (obviously) and Seaman Staines, wasn't he one, or is that an urban myth? Sure it was Mates and not Bates? :lol:
  7. If you need the "urban myth" names

Seaman Stains
    Master Bates
    As previously mentioned..Roger

I think there were others
  8. See this is where the arguement has started...with a know it all civvie so I have to win! It's the real names of the original series, not the watered down PC crap they tried to con us with a few years ago
  9. Hmmmm, Ive always thought that the urban myth names were the real ones but every attempt to find out has been scuppered (me hearties).
  10. willy, pugwash.......jake......erm....this will annoy me now!!!!!
  11. However - quoted from the press

In the Young Guardian of September 13 [1991] we stated that the Captain Pugwash cartoon series featured characters called Seaman Staines and Master Bates, and for that reason the series had never been repeated by the BBC. We accept that it is untrue that there ever were any such characters. Furthermore, the series continues to be shown on television and on video. We apologize to Mr. Ryan, the creator, writer and artist of the Captain Pugwash films and books. We have agreed to pay him damages and his legal costs.

Evening Standard correspondent Victor Lewis-Smith wrote several years later:

'It'll never stand up in court,' I hear you cry, but stranger cases have flourished. I remember voicing much the same opinion a decade ago when John Ryan's solicitor threatened legal action against the newspaper I was then working for, after I had erroneously (and I stress erroneously) suggested that the characters he'd created for his Captain Pugwash series weren't quite as innocent as they'd first seemed back in the 1950s.

Unwittingly repeating a folk myth that had been passed down through generations of schoolboys, I'd stated that the dramatis personae included such nautical naughties as Master Bates, Seaman Stains and Roger the Cabin Boy, and that 'Pugwash' was Australian slang for a form of oral sex. The matter seemed trivial, but an apology was made, Mr Ryan's honour was satisfied and two sets of parasitical, low-life libel lawyers thus pocketed yet more easy (and thoroughly ill-deserved) dosh.
  12. Cllick this LINK for a run down on this urban legend
  13. Nope, I grew up with 'im, and those are the original names :D
  14. why let the truth get in the way of a good story, admit it we all prefer the double entendres version, dont we :?: :?: