Captain Holly Graf faces ignominious end to her career

From The Times
March 20, 2010
Captain Holly Graf faces ignominious end to her fast-track US Navy career

Captain Holly Graf during a visit to the Russian Pacific Fleet base, Vladivostok. She faces an ignominious end to her career
Michael Evans, Pentagon Correspondent

She was the first and only woman to be selected to command a US navy guided-missile cruiser. Now she faces an ignominious end to her fast-track career after being accused of creating a “Captain Bligh” environment of fear and hostility on board her ship.

Captain Holly Graf, 46, who has been relieved of her command of USS Cowpens, based at Yokosuka in Japan, is waiting to hear whether she is to be summoned before her superiors “to show cause” why she should not be thrown out of the navy. A spokesman said yesterday that senior officers were still considering whether to call her before a special hearing, a move that could spell the end of her career.
More
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7069215.ece

Menopausal woman + isolated command position = TILT!

Does it matter that the Royal Navy hasn't given a command to a female yet? (I'd hardly call Frigates and Destroyers prestigious commands either).

chocolate_frog said:
Does it matter that the Royal Navy hasn't given a command to a female yet? (I'd hardly call Frigates and Destroyers prestigious commands either).
HMS Express used the have a female CO, OK its only a fast Patrol boat but, What fun we other boatys had whenever she locked out,Screams of "Women Drivers" and wolf whistles, and doubling up on the fenders

Skynet said:
From The Times
March 20, 2010
Captain Holly Graf faces ignominious end to her fast-track US Navy career

Captain Holly Graf during a visit to the Russian Pacific Fleet base, Vladivostok. She faces an ignominious end to her career
Michael Evans, Pentagon Correspondent

She was the first and only woman to be selected to command a US navy guided-missile cruiser. Now she faces an ignominious end to her fast-track career after being accused of creating a “Captain Bligh” environment of fear and hostility on board her ship.

Captain Holly Graf, 46, who has been relieved of her command of USS Cowpens, based at Yokosuka in Japan, is waiting to hear whether she is to be summoned before her superiors “to show cause” why she should not be thrown out of the navy. A spokesman said yesterday that senior officers were still considering whether to call her before a special hearing, a move that could spell the end of her career.
More
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7069215.ece
My bold

Oh dear! More 'positive' discrimination gone wrong? :eek: I do hope not.

Retd_crab said:
Pretty apt name of the ship as well in the circumstances - USS Cow Pen
And a 17/21st Lancer/ QRL battle honour 1781 Cowpens ( one word)

The stories of her alleged breaches of US navy regulations are legion. Captain Graf has been accused of resorting to profanities when dressing down subordinates, hurling coffee cups, assaulting a crew member by grabbing him around the throat, spitting in another’s face and abusing her position by ordering junior ranks to walk her dog and entertain her at a private party.
Been sworn at - Check
Narrowly missed by a coffee cup - Check
Half strangled - Check
Spat at - Check
Walked an occifer's dog - Check
Entertained a female occifer at a private party - Nope

Well actually I did but only in my dreams. :(

mistersoft said:
The stories of her alleged breaches of US navy regulations are legion. Captain Graf has been accused of resorting to profanities when dressing down subordinates, hurling coffee cups, assaulting a crew member by grabbing him around the throat, spitting in another’s face and abusing her position by ordering junior ranks to walk her dog and entertain her at a private party.
Been sworn at - Check
Narrowly missed by a coffee cup - Check
Half strangled - Check
Spat at - Check
Walked an occifer's dog - Check
Entertained a female occifer at a private party - Nope

Well actually I did but only in my dreams. :(
Does a female AI in the Sea Cadets count,if so check

If you were spat at, why on earth wouldn't you just fill the spitter in?

chocolate_frog said:
If you were spat at, why on earth wouldn't you just fill the spitter in?
If that's directed at me then I didn't want to put him off as he was in mid-strangle. I also didn't want to get him REALLY annoyed.

From the link:

Navy regulations stipulate that someone in authority is forbidden to abuse subordinates by “tyrannical conduct or by abusive language"

Although she appears to be barking, I can't believe one of the examples they are citing is that she called one of her watch officers fckuing stupid. If that is a sacking offence nowadays, then God help us. It is the Armed Forces after all, not a meeting of the WI.
I've lost count of the number of bollockings I have "earned" over the years and in the main, they have made me the man I am today (wibble). :crying:
Are people in a position of authority not allowed to say anything vaguely threatening anymore?

(Sadly, I know the answer).

Having just read the link posted by volunteer, I retract my earlier statement.
What a complete and utter fruitcake and to top it all, she is a real munter.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Tawahi-50 said:
Could have been worse, I suppose-
she might have been christened Polly.
or Spectra.