Captain Freddy Spencer. One Man Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jonny8oy, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if done. Did a search and nothing came up. This man was nails without a doubt!

Sort of puts the beasting thread to bed really with what this gentleman achieved.

Linkety here

Well done Sir and RIP.

2. Thank you for this; I hadn't heard of the man or his exploits before. I shall order the book today, looks like a thumping good read.

I despaired for a moment though because whilst I initially thought he might be an outstanding candidate for the ever popular and well read thread, "The Army Eccentric," he looked altogether too sane and ordered to qualify. Not to worry, there's a little oddness in us all and this line, "He exulted in pushing himself to extremes, once encouraging his fellow pupils to hit him over the head with a cricket bat 'to see how hard he could take it,'" is enough to add him to the list. Pressing wild flowers and canibilisim push him up this list too!

Thanks!

3. Bloody Hell! "Nails" does'nt seem adequate in this case! 8O

Truly humbling. :salut:

4. Bloody good story to start the day with, good find J8! :)

5. Am definitely going to have to get the book. What a bloke

6. 8O

7. What a player! Hollywood could never have dreamed up something like this. This man is still a shining example, unfortunately those who are most in need of taking note, are most unlikely to do so.

8. All that and no VC?

Huge respect Sir! :salut:

9. I remember reading "the Jungle is Neutral" back in the early 70s... I think it was a Sandbags prescribed reader at one time.

You just wonder what someone like Mears would have got up to if he had been around at the time..

Cometh the day, cometh the man!

10. He exulted in pushing himself to extremes, once encouraging his fellow pupils to hit him over the head with a cricket bat 'to see how hard he could take it.'

Man Points....

11. What a legend! And we moan because we don't have enough helicopters in Afghan!

Can't believe he didn't get a VC!

12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Rather puts Bravo Two Zero into perspective.

And to think that these days "heroes" are people that do well on Big Brother.

13. Quality!

14. hat doffed!!!

and book will be ordered

15. One word sums him up.......

NAILS!