Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar RIP

Just when you think you've heard it all regarding truly courageous individuals, along comes another who raises the bar that little bit higher for the rest of us. Sorry to hear of the passing of Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar. Its difficult to believe that men of his integrity and personal courage could ever walk among us again.

Personally, it never ceases to both amaze and disappoint me that people of his caliber go through life quietly and without fuss, and its not until their death do we find out what truly extraordinary people they were. I am eternally thankful for people such as Captain Upham for providing me with the spiritual antidote to the constant stream of thieving, scrounging, corrupt, self-serving wretches infesting society today.

Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar - Telegraph

/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fang_Farrier /images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

A trendemous character from all accounts, but your article is from 1994

Apologies to all. I was reading an obituary in the online version of the Telegraph and next to it was the obituary of Captain Upham. I'm afraid that I assumed he was on the list of military personnel who passed away this month. If you ignore my complete dick of a post and just concentrate on the captains story, it won't have been a complete waste of time for you. He was in all events an inspirational and extraordinary character and well worth a read. Apologies again for my ND. I'll put myself down for some extras next week.

MPK

Sounds like a great bloke - and the last comment in the article may be very true.

S_R

Just when you think you've heard it all regarding truly courageous individuals, along comes another who raises the bar that little bit higher for the rest of us. Sorry to hear of the passing of Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar. Its difficult to believe that men of his integrity and personal courage could ever walk among us again.

Personally, it never ceases to both amaze and disappoint me that people of his caliber go through life quietly and without fuss, and its not until their death do we find out what truly extraordinary people they were. I am eternally thankful for people such as Captain Upham for providing me with the spiritual antidote to the constant stream of thieving, scrounging, corrupt, self-serving wretches infesting society today.

Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar - Telegraph

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A trendemous character from all accounts, but your article is from 1994

oldbaldy

LE
Is this a thread to lament the death of heros from long ago?

Quick question, in the article it says there are/were only three recipients of VC and bar, was there not a dutch chap (poss SAS?) as well? apologies if I have completely made that up or got all the info wrong I just vaguely remember my dad having a book about a dual VC winner killed in action storming a machine gun post in Holland (?) for which he was awarded the second

it appears I have imagined it as cant find a single thing about the man.

Quick question, in the article it says there are/were only three recipients of VC and bar, was there not a dutch chap (poss SAS?) as well? apologies if I have completely made that up or got all the info wrong I just vaguely remember my dad having a book about a dual VC winner killed in action storming a machine gun post in Holland (?) for which he was awarded the second

it appears I have imagined it as cant find a single thing about the man.
Anders Lassen? VC , MC plus Two bars.He was a Dane mucker