Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar RIP

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by MPKaiser, Apr 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just when you think you've heard it all regarding truly courageous individuals, along comes another who raises the bar that little bit higher for the rest of us. Sorry to hear of the passing of Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar. Its difficult to believe that men of his integrity and personal courage could ever walk among us again.

Personally, it never ceases to both amaze and disappoint me that people of his caliber go through life quietly and without fuss, and its not until their death do we find out what truly extraordinary people they were. I am eternally thankful for people such as Captain Upham for providing me with the spiritual antidote to the constant stream of thieving, scrounging, corrupt, self-serving wretches infesting society today.

Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar - Telegraph

/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fang_Farrier /images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

A trendemous character from all accounts, but your article is from 1994

Apologies to all. I was reading an obituary in the online version of the Telegraph and next to it was the obituary of Captain Upham. I'm afraid that I assumed he was on the list of military personnel who passed away this month. If you ignore my complete dick of a post and just concentrate on the captains story, it won't have been a complete waste of time for you. He was in all events an inspirational and extraordinary character and well worth a read. Apologies again for my ND. I'll put myself down for some extras next week.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Legend.
  3. Good greif! What an amazing person.

I'd like to quote something he said later in life that became so very true ...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Without a doubt.
  5. Agreed - the world has lost an example of somoeone whose character and personal ethos we should all emulate.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Sounds like a great bloke - and the last comment in the article may be very true.

7. Didn't he die about twenty years ago?
  8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A trendemous character from all accounts, but your article is from 1994
    • Like Like x 2
  9. 1994
  10. Just saw this. What an inspiration.

• Like Like x 3
  11. That's too bad about Lord Nelson, but what an excuse to call naked bar! :p :p

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

That look really interesting, what is it exactly?
  13. I think it is a Mention in Dispatches.
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Is this a thread to lament the death of heros from long ago?
  15. POSTEX report, battle of that square with the big pointy thing in the middle, London