Capitalist network runs the world

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pp0470, Oct 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New Scientist Magazine: Revealed

They believed that just 1318 'core' companies own 80% of global wealth.

Of the top 50 companies listed only 1 actually creates something - China Petrochemical Group Company. The other 49 are financial services groups.

Is this what the Occupy movement is trying to highlight?

Don't really think there's a lot we can do about it, but europe could - let the PIGS countries go bankrupt and see how that upsets the apple cart. I think there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth (in Wall St and the like).

Interesting times.

(but i still tink it's a conspiracy... ;))
  2. Ah - the rich of the world control vast wealth.

Well done on spotting that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Have you considered suicide?
  4. New Scientist used to interesting but I gave up on it when it took the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming shilling/something must be done line and started printing leftie bollocks like this.

My Private Eye subscription went the same way.
  5. In other breaking news;

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Here's the Forbes 500 top 10 for mid-2011 - almost all retail or energy (here's a clue, you don't stuff raw crude into your petrol tank). Is there any more ignorant shit you'd care to share with us you monomaniacal waster?

1 Wal-Mart Stores United States Retail
    2 Royal Dutch Shell Netherlands† Petroleum
    3 Exxon Mobil United States Petroleum
    4 BP United Kingdom Petroleum
    5 Sinopec China Petroleum
    6 China National Petroleum China Petroleum
    7 State Grid China Power
    8 Toyota Motor Japan Automobiles
    9 Japan Post Holdings Japan Diversified
    10 Chevron United States Petroleum
  7. Got to admit i've nevr bought a New Scientist (but i can't resist picking up an occasional Private Eye - its got cartoons)

Can't vouch for the validity of the article, but it does support the 'to big to fail' theory.

If the PIGS countries don't go bankrupt, the money to repay the bankers is going to have to come from somewhere - prepare for more pension cuts boys!

(And that on top of battling 5.2% inflation, i.e. your effective wealth is dropping by 5.2% annually before you even open the post)
  8. No it doesn't. Go and ******* kill yourself, do the world a favour.
  9. Thanks, i'd never of found that by myself....

Back to discussing the article, the point the article (not me) was making is that

I'm not an economist - so posted in the 'Intelligence' forum for a discussion, but instead found pig ignorance.

I guess a British Army forum is not the best place to find reasoned debate - my mistake!
  10. That the sum of you debating skills MF?

NAAFI bar back down the hall on th left Petal
  11. Actually you've really surprised me with that. 1,318 companies control the world's wealth? I wouldn't have thought it was that many TBH. Last bit I read about this it was only 147 companies so I suppose it depends on what you mean by "control" and who's writing the article.
  12. If I ran company 1319 I'd be pretty annoyed at not controlling the world.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

You stated in an earlier post that, of the top 50 companies in the world, only one created something - demonstrable crap. You then invited us to wet the bed to no good purpose. I pointed out your folly and no, you are not an economist. Either make a rational point or tune in to Radio Venus on your bridgework and leave the rest of us in peace.
  14. Again, they're not my figures & i'm not an economist, just found it a curious article and wanted some informative opinions of people who may know more than me.

The article says 1318 companies control 80% of global wealth (in their model anyway) and that the top 147 companies, mostly financials, control 40% of the global wealth.
  15. I suspect it won't be difficult to find people who know more than you, after all you only regurgitate what you read without any kind of analysis. In fact you are incapable of analysing the information, you rely on others. You select articles according to your viewpoint rather than their accuracy. This is normal internet expertise.

Produce your own work or **** off.