Cape Verde

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Wishful_Thinking, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow ARRSERs,

Has anyone been to Cape Verde? It's somewhere that I've considered travelling to and wondered if anyone had any feedback/recommendations on the place?

2. Went there about 5 years ago.
    It is a very poor place but the people are nice and very friendly.
    I stayed in Praia which is the Capital, it definitely has a Caribbean 'feel' to it but the Portugese influence is still prevalent.
    They have local beers which are pretty good and the food, whilst unusual (mixture of Creole, Caribbean and African) is excellent.

If you are on your own, the ladies are extremely friendly.
    They are very much into live music in the bars and the standard is surprisingly high.

I hope you enjoy the place as much as I did.
  3. Thank you LPJ. Yes I'm thinking of going on my own, though being of the female variety myself, I won't be too bothered about the ladies! :lol:

Thank you for the feedback. I saw a travel programme quite a few years on Cape Verde and it's still on my to do list. Do you think it will be safe for a lone woman traveller? (In your opinion?) My other choice is St Lucia! Don't suppose you've been there too?

Thanks again,
    Wishy :)
  4. My apologies for assuming you were male Wishy.

I got no negative impression about Cape Verde re : Female Safety, however as a male tourist I may not have noticed anyway. My female companion said nothing negative though.
    It is always wise to be wary in places were poverty is common but the place seemed to be well policed.
    Through my eyes it was a very pleasant (and cosmopolitan) place, with a very 'villagey' atmosphere

As to St Lucia, yes I have been there on several occasions and whilst it is a lovely place, once again there is a lot of poverty there and, because the island is so small you might run out of things to do. For example, the Capital Castries can be explored completely in about 50 minutes, possibly less.

If you are new to the Caribbean but you want the real deal you could do a lot worse than Barbados, lovely place, very old world British attitude towards crime etc and a big enough place for plenty to do.
    I have travelled around most of the Caribbean and I always felt safe and comfortable in Barbados.
    Grenada is lovely as well.

Whatever you choose, any of these places are great to visit and I hope that you enjoy your choice.

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

CV is a great wee place, lots of different islands with totally different ecologies, ranging from complete deserts to Carribean style lushness and weird moonlike volcanic landscapes.

If you do go, I can recommend a great wee place to stay on Boa Vista:
  6. LPJ,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It is much appreciated, as well as the suggestion regarding Barbados as a destination. I shall go off and do some internet hunting and if you don't mind, I will pm you if I have any questions.

Thank you very much for the suggestion of the Migrante. I had a look on Trip Advisor and the place gets a good write-up. I am partial to a colonial style building, very pretty indeed.

Thanks again to you both. Any other comments/ideas on where to visit is much appreciated.

7. And it's back from the dead ( to avoid being smitten by Jarrod and his **** fixation on the search function).

So has anyone been to Cape Verde lately, SWMBO and myself are thinking of going there next Feb for a Winter break. Has it been taken over by the Russian hoardes yet or will we be spared that?
  8. Funny you should say that it had been on my mind. I was also thinking where will the Russians be now they're limited to travel because of bombs and stuff.
  9. Just looked at flights, expensive and all seem to stop somewhere else on the way. That'll be why we went elsewhere.
  10. Odd that , my mate who just got blown up in Brussels airport was on his way back from Cape Verde , survived ,in a mess.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

PM @Hoverpot.
  12. Did he like it?
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Cape Verde? Or being blown up?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cape Verde of course. Boyfriend reckons there's direct flights but they're charters.
  15. If you fly via Lisboa, you should be able to get a return for less than €250. My single back here was a last minute €83 with TAP.

I was there last week and it's a great place, LPJ's comments are still more than valid, I'd just avoid the beaches at night as muggings DO happen.

Praia is buzzing, Sal a bit less so. I can't speak for the rest of the islands as I haven't been yet.
    • Informative Informative x 2