• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Capbadges

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Having posted on a few memory lane threads on here (very insightful) it got me thinking about capbadges past and present....ok, more past tbh; praise be to sandbag

Allyist - 17/21st and DERR
Dullist- ACC

Something to lift the gloom on a dark Wednesday, so what were yours, other than your own?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
pretty dull for me R.A.O.C then R.H.A

small capbadge fettish i think.

a few long forgotten ones here though
View attachment 67661
Slightly off topic. In your picture of Regimental Cap Badges of the British Army, why are the RAF cap badges shown? I know the RAF came from the RFC and the FAA, but surely the RAF was never British Army since it's inception in 1918.

Slightly off topic. In your picture of Regimental Cap Badges of the British Army, why are the RAF cap badges shown? I know the RAF came from the RFC and the FAA, but surely the RAF was never British Army since it's inception in 1918.
As I did not design or print the cap badge poster so i would not know the answer to your question.

I don't see a RAF capbadge, but there are a couple that can easily be mistaken for it, given the size of the pic.
No 5 is the nearest looking, I think. But it's The 2nd DG (Bays). Another that looks a bit RAFish is no113 which is the West Indies Regiment

Number 32 looks like RAF officers badge

Having scoured the pic as I though, thoroughly, I didn't see it until too late!! There's none so blind!!
Thanks.

I think I came to the conclusion that they badges were in order of seniority, and didn't look there

So I can't answer Legs very valid question of why they are on the poster but I suppose the positioning on the chart is due to their RE ancestry

If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, try doing an image search for Yeomanry badges. There's loads of old ones out there....

pretty dull for me R.A.O.C then R.H.A

small capbadge fettish i think.

a few long forgotten ones here though
Interesting poster, thanks

Didn't realise that the Tank Corps/RTC/RTR didn't have their own cap badge until into the '20s.
Also the B W (Barrack Warden) badge is a new one to me.

B

bokkatankie

Interesting poster, thanks

Didn't realise that the Tank Corps/RTC/RTR didn't have their own cap badge until into the '20s.
Also the B W (Barrack Warden) badge is a new one to me.
In November 1916 the eight companies then in existence were each expanded to form battalions still lettered A through H; another seven battalions, I through O, were formed by January 1918, when they all were converted to numbered units. On 28 July 1917 the Heavy Branch was by Royal Warrant separated from the rest of the MGC and given official status as the Tank Corps, meaning that by the beginning of 1918 the fifteen units were changed from letters to numbers as 1st Battalion to 15th Battalion, Tank Corps. More battalions continued to be formed, and by December 1918, 26 had been created. (At this time there were only 25 tank battalions, however; the 17th had converted to using armoured cars in April 1918. The first commander of the Tank Corps was Hugh Elles.

Cap Badge/Motto dates of adoption can be found here:

Cap Badge/Motto - The Royal Tank Regiment Association

The new badge and the motto were published in the December 1922 Army List but the Army Order authorising their actual wear was not issued until May 1923 (177/23). The badges were in the same metals as the MGC badges.

B

bokkatankie

32 RAF Officer and 33 RAF according to the index, interesting how high up the order of precedence they fall. Was it an error by the author or have the RAF pr machine somehow gone back in time to change things?

Maybe one of you lot could explain, why do some regiments have people wearing shiny/blacked out/cloth beret badges within the same regiments? Do they symbolise any meaning?

Latest Threads