Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Rod924, Mar 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Having posted on a few memory lane threads on here (very insightful) it got me thinking about capbadges past and present....ok, more past tbh; praise be to sandbag

Allyist - 17/21st and DERR
    Dullist- ACC

Something to lift the gloom on a dark Wednesday, so what were yours, other than your own?
  2. liked ....Argyles
    disliked.....QLR or LI
  3. pretty dull for me R.A.O.C then R.H.A

small capbadge fettish i think.

a few long forgotten ones here though
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Tsk, tsk DH.

It's Argyll's... biggest capbadge in the British Army.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sorry!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The design of the Non Combatant Corps capbadge wasn't exactly inspired

• Like Like x 1
  7. Slightly off topic. In your picture of Regimental Cap Badges of the British Army, why are the RAF cap badges shown? I know the RAF came from the RFC and the FAA, but surely the RAF was never British Army since it's inception in 1918.
  8. As I did not design or print the cap badge poster so i would not know the answer to your question.
    • Like Like x 1

9. I don't see a RAF capbadge, but there are a couple that can easily be mistaken for it, given the size of the pic.
    No 5 is the nearest looking, I think. But it's The 2nd DG (Bays). Another that looks a bit RAFish is no113 which is the West Indies Regiment
  10. my favourite cap badge is Fife andForfar Yeomanry
    now part of Queens Own Yeomanry
    least favourite is Kings Reg reminds me too much of boy scouts
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Number 32 looks like RAF officers badge ans 33 is RAF cap badge
  12. There can only be one!
    • Like Like x 4

13. Having scoured the pic as I though, thoroughly, I didn't see it until too late!! There's none so blind!!

I think I came to the conclusion that they badges were in order of seniority, and didn't look there

So I can't answer Legs very valid question of why they are on the poster but I suppose the positioning on the chart is due to their RE ancestry
  14. If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, try doing an image search for Yeomanry badges. There's loads of old ones out there....
  15. Interesting poster, thanks

Didn't realise that the Tank Corps/RTC/RTR didn't have their own cap badge until into the '20s.
    Also the B W (Barrack Warden) badge is a new one to me.