Cap badges

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Rfn_Warrior, Apr 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If HRH The Queen died (Touch wood), would all the Cap badges within the Armed Forces with the Queens Crown on have to change to the Kings crown? I just thought about it before and i feel it probably would. Anyone any idea about this?

2. Yes. As would the crowns worn by Major, Lt Cols etc.

3. You mean the Queen is going to have a sex change?

Is that okay with Phil?

4. It should be, the Greeks invented homosexuality

5. indeed in the olden days it used to be "The King is dead, Long live the King" which sounded ok to me.

"The Queen is dead, long live the King!" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

6. It's 'HM' the Queen, not 'HRH' Liz being Her Maj and Phil the Greek and the rest of the odds and sods being His/Her Royal Highness.

7. Quote - If the Queen died (Touch Wood) end quote, do you wish her dead??

8. I t would depend on whether the next monarch chose to use King edward's crown or not.

The old cap badges pre 1952/3 continued to be issued for several years after Betty came to the throne.

9. No. Why would i? Someone explain to him what touch wood meens, if they do know what it meens. Because i can't seem to be able to put it into words. Either lack of intelligence or just to tired.

10. Touch wood could, in this instance mean two things. The grammar is not good. In my world 'touch wood' is an instruction given to my girlfriend.

11. Make your context clear in future i.e. - Touch Wood she does not, anyway, im just being pedantic, bore off LJS :D

12. Furryturd has hit the nail on the head. The crown on capbadges changed in 52-53 after HM came to the throne, Prior to that it only changed after Queen Victoria died in 1901. Her crown was totally different to King Edward and King georges crowns as used by Monarchs in recent history.

13. All this is assuming the big eared one gets the top job? We might just become a principality.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The crown may not have changed after the old Q died until Betty took over but the monograms did, and so did a lot of cap badges.

I think the London Scottish capbadge may be the only badge in the army that has not changed since 1908 - a Cockney Jock now could go on parade wearing a 1908 badge - I don't think there is any other corps / regiment that could say the same.