Cap Badges

I should've said I was thinking of non-officers ones,they've been produced in the different metals at various times, there was or is still a version that's kept the anodised stags head and scroll but has the saltire in plated metal, just wondered if it's TA (or whatever the current term is) or cadets, I can't remember.

Although I've never hankered after wearing it, a favourite of mine was the

Royal Pioneer Corps cap badge.

The design was pretty good and symbolic of the corps, the motto, Labor omnia vincit (Labour overcomes all) was well placed and the wreath, presumably a crown of immortalles, signified sacrifice and remembrance.

The Chunkies had a good record in WW2 including of course many expatriate anti-Nazis in their ranks.

Unfortunately (in my opinion) the RPC decided they needed a change of image and came up with the abortion (below)

God knows how it got past the Army Council - the fact that it was supposed to have been designed by their Colonel-in-Chief, the Duke of Gloucester might be a clue.

The seem to have discovered a link to Axes and infantry pioneers - a connection that didn't exist before and
as for the scroll, 'Royal Pioneers' - good job that didn't become a trend, otherwise there might be 'Royal Dentists or 'Royal Logisticians'

Still all in the past now as neither cap badge has survived.

The design was pretty good and symbolic of the corps, the motto, Labor omnia vincit (Labour overcomes all) was well placed and the wreath, presumably a crown of immortalles, signified sacrifice and remembrance.

The Chunkies had a good record in WW2 including of course many expatriate anti-Nazis in their ranks.

Unfortunately (in my opinion) the RPC decided they needed a change of image and came up with the abortion (below)

God knows how it got past the Army Council - the fact that it was supposed to have been designed by their Colonel-in-Chief, the Duke of Gloucester might be a clue.

The seem to have discovered a link to Axes and infantry pioneers - a connection that didn't exist before and
as for the scroll, 'Royal Pioneers' - good job that didn't become a trend, otherwise there might be 'Royal Dentists or 'Royal Logisticians'

The wreath is of laurel, there's some significance in its hanging open end down but I can't remember what it is.

On their second badge you'd expect there to be saw teeth on the pioneers hewer I would've thought.
But why worry.

The Highlanders has to be one of the best, and biggest!

Not only do you have to punch 7 holes through your head dress, being 3D with sharp antlers, its great for catching on everything, stabbing into your fingers and generally being a bugger to clean.

But of course, it need the Cameron of Erracht tartan behind it and the blue hackle just to make it really stand out :)

I love it!

I always liked this capbadge. I bet the lads were gutted to let it go.

Spoilt for choice amongst the regiments of the British Indian Army, due to the exotic local fauna. The Assam Regt. is one of my favourites.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Not to mention Royal Hussars, Royal Dragoon Guards, Royal Lancers...

What? Oh.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My uncle always said he was tail-gunner in this mob

Attachments

The ship of the desert, remind me why it's called that?
Something to do with being full of something?

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
I am rather confused why the OP has not selected an RGJ antecendent capbadge . . . .

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not a cap badge, but uniquely identifying a regiment and leaving the reader in no doubt as to what exactly happened to cause the first ever issue of a battle honour.

The text transcribes the inscription.

This one is good when combined with a green beret,
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought 'Hello, it won't be long before @SixBadges or his alter ego Morris P turns up......'

Personally, notwithstanding my own various badges, I rather like the KOYLI badge that my Grandad took to places such as Cambrai and Arras in the Great Unpleasantness (Round 1)

koylibadge.jpg