Cap badges on TV.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ready_wait_ready, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all. I was wondering if you could shed some light on a problem that's been eating me for some time. It appears whenever HM finest are portrayed on TV as a generic Regiment they always seem to have there or there abouts the same cap badge. In the below instance it appears to be that of the RRF, but normally in whicever programme it is, it's something very similar to an RWF badge.
    Does the MoD insist that a generic cap badge is used to avoid a stigma to an individual regiment, or are the procurement boys giving a nod and a wink to the old regiment?
    Any leads will be highly appreciated.

2. My guess would be that it's the generic nature of the grenade that's attractive to TV types.

It has been used by many regiments for many years. It has no obvious county connections.

It's also aesthetically pleasing (I may be bias, being an ex-member of the original Fusilier regiment though :wink: ).
  3. I don't know about a generic cap badge but they always seem to use a generic beret of the helicopter landing pad size and shaped by "tard".
  4. I suppose the MoD don't want to smear any remaining regiments or upset them prior to yet another amalgamation, as no doubt the wearer of the generic bad beret sporting the generic cap badge for the Royal Melchestershire Rifles (or something equally ludicrous) will soon receive a visit from (insert your TV detective of choice), as due to (insert mental illness or disability of choice), he killed somebody.

Wearing such a ridiculously bad (generic) beret, I can understand why.
  5. I played an extra in a TV programme and my job as a SNCO was to run a squad of 6 past the main players shouting suitable words of encouragemnet. Anyway I took my gear along which they were happy with but when they seen my beret they said that I would have to wear one of theirs due to mine being too obvious and they had to use one which was a bit nondiscript. The one they gave me was something that looked not unlike the current RLC badge but not as bright.

Had the wardrobe lady take pictures of me to remind her of how you should wear uniform. An NO, my beret did not look like a landing pad!

6. Bit off topic but could do with info.
    I have recently been in a thread about army cap badges with coloured 'enamel' centre, I have seen fabric badges with coloured centres but not metal ones.
    My reference books up to the 80's show none, any ideas?
    Picture would be helpful.
  7. So, nobody got pics of brass badges with colour in middle?
  8. Talking about capbadges: which Jock regiment used to wear a huge cross with a stag's head on. The thing was that the stag's head was three-dimensional and the muzzle (or whatever the face bit's called on a stag) stuck out from the cross about ¾ of an inch. I swapped one once, but I lost it yonks ago.

Anybody any ideas?

9. Is this it?
    the Highland Brigade.

Attached Files:

• 141.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
  10. Seem to remember RLC cap badge had enamel on the inside but might be wrong
  11. That's the badger! Cheers a bunch, mucker. Hope you don't mind me saving the piccie to my hard-drive.

12. The capbadge he is wearing is indeed the RRF, they dont always wear those gay red and white feathers though
  13. (Yelps at a hackle being called gay!)

14. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

An unofficial issue of OR's RLC badge had red and blue colouring and the QLR cap badge had a red rose. Sure there are others. Research harder my man. Google images is your friend.
  15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I know a lot of regiments had cloth patches sewn onto their berets to go behind the badge. AFAIK 15/19H were unique in that they had a red felt backing to the badge, but it was shaped to the badge and not sewn onto the beret.

I recently found and bought a 15/19H lapel badge which manages to highlight the blue garter as found on the officer-pattern cap badge, the red backing and the yellow gold highlighting the scroll MEREBIMUR, together emphasising the regimental colours of blue / yellow / red (along with the white metal comprising the lion and crown).

I like the badge. Doesn't answer your question though.