Can't pay, won't pay

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Dec 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Auntie

My bold.

So, the "mature student" (aka professional scrounger from the state) can afford an Abercrombie and Fitch jumper but thinks he owes nothing back to the state for allowing him to be a professional student. He demands an exemption (note - he seems to accept others should pay) as he thinks it is his right to sit back and live on the state whilst other people - preferably German - school him for free.

And then there's the Deputy PM!!!! Hasn't got 7,500 quid to cover the tax bill on his "MANY" properties...

That just about says it all and explains why the Greeks should be allowed to sink without any help or relief from the rest of us.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I agree with him. If the UK gov asked me to do the same I'd be****ed off as well. Whatever I happened to be wearing.

Also - knowing Greece, it's probably knocked off fake shit.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Set them free, good riddance get lost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why has his mum got a carpet wrapped around her?
    Have they cut the 'lecky off already?

5. That's a major reason why Greece is in the shit, people not paying their taxes.... any feckin' taxes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The sooner they sink the better, then maybe the can drag some of the other parasitic states with them.

This all just demonstrates that there should have been stricter controls on those wishing to adopt the Euro.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fixed that

• Like Like x 2
  8. The "holiday" countries should form their own club and stick to the only things they are good at i.e. producing olive oil, lemons, cheap booze, waiters, and cases of sunburn.

9. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

This particular tax was to try and get round tax avoidance - the government's reasoning being that everyone needs to pay tax and thus they'll actually manage to raise some money because everyone has to pay electricity bills. The practical problem Greece has is that the whole tax system for the self employed/business owning class is so corrupt that it cannot be reformed. Of a population of 13 million only 50,000 will admit to earning over 80,000 Euros a year. Ditto for collecting business taxes - most business pay only a fraction of the money that is owed.

Yet all the fuss over the collection of this tax ignored a fundamental problem - the Greece economy way already fcuked when they joined the euro and its become steadily more fcuked as a result. Consider what would happen if everyone in Greece unhesitatingly did pay this tax:

1) Money would be sucked out of the real economy - putting businesses and individuals out of work because people had less money to spend in the shops, etc.
    2) The money the government collects from taxes would correspondingly fall. That's a real swings and roundabouts situation - they raised more money in tax, but fcuked up many businesses in return.

For the past three years the Greek economy had been in a sustained depression. It is unlikely to ever improve while Greece is a euro member - unless the richer nations effectively give money to Greece to rebuild its shattered economy. And there's zero chance of that happening. As to the immediate picture - the Greek government is now totally dependent on EU loans. To keep the loans coming, they have to show they're taking steps to reform their corrupt tax system. This is a gesture in that direction, giving the EU an excuse to pay the next tranche of the loan. Will it solve the problem? No - but unpleasant truths have been postponed. The tin can has been kicked further down the road.

My personal guess is that Greece will become steadily more ungovernable in 2012 - the Greece population in general must be fully aware that they're trapped in a nightmare without an obvious exit. And when people feel they've nothing to lose by rioting, they become very dangerous indeed.

Wordsmith

10. ...which is exactly the effect the tax take has in UK, and why the UK productive economy is tanking....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sell one of your many properties you tight Spiros fecker!

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I thought the same thing - does he know that his mum is a Thunderbird?

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thats not a real granny, its just a cardboard cut out that he uses to scam €360 a month state OAP pension...

• Like Like x 2
  14. When camouflage netting to hide swimming pools from the tax man is popular and a dentist can get away with claiming they earned The £4000 last year.
    You want whizzy death tech of the military and enough bread and circuses to keep the proles from rioting and roads and stuff it costs tax.

15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

And the bloke's a "mature student" - effectively a Greek scam to stay in higher education and continue drawing grants. Far better than working