Cant log in to ARRSE at work

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by supermark500, Jul 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On my work computer I can't log on to, I just get the error message:
    The connection to the database server failed, sorry for the inconvenience

We should be back shortly

[ Go Back ]
    I can only get on to the site by going here: Anyone know why this might be?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Did it "come back shortly" or do you still have the problem?
  3. No, it's been like that for a week now.
  4. I'm alright Jack! :muhaha:

Not that I log in from work of course...... :oops:
  5. I get that all the time from my home PC.
    Does my head in.
    Try clearing your cookies.
  6. I have done but it's made no difference.
  7. Maybe the network admin team at work (if it has one) have blocked the web address due to too much user activity at this site.

You will find that most large companies monitor their employees web activity. If they monitor web traffic stats and see that your login is always visiting throughout the day then im afraid its the chop for you. They may have tweaked it so you cant access it during core working hours and may have left an opening for lunchtime.

But, there are always workarounds to these teething issues. :wink:
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It's because ARRSE moved server a while back and your 'DNS' hasn't updated as it should have done. The url you are using shouldn't work either, but our hosts have obviously missed it. Before I go into techno chat does that explain it to you?

As regards the cure - do you use some sort of internet speed-up cache software? If so you need to flush its DNS cache. If not then it is your work's network that is to blame.

I won't go further for the moment - let me know whether than allows you to crack the problem or if I should explain more.
  9. It is anyway. I'm being made redundant.

Good CO, yes that explains it (just, I'm not that computer savvy).

"As regards the cure - do you use some sort of internet speed-up cache software? If so you need to flush its DNS cache. If not then it is your work's network that is to blame"
    I've no idea if I use that or not. I suspect that it is my network. We're replacing the complete computer system over the next moth or so.
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'll give you a bit more techno speak then - the DNS is the address book of the internet. DNS servers are spread all over the internet. When a change is made (as a week or so ago when arrse's address changed) this is broadcast automatically through the internet and should be complete on all servers with 24 hours. I allowed about 5 days before turning off the old server so there would be no problems.

To speed up internet access, DNS 'address book' entries are also cached in various places so that you don't have to contact a distant server every time, but caches should be regularly updated. It would appear that your companies hasn't been in this case.

I would drop an email to the IT folk asking them to force the cache to update. It's a 10 second job for them.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

And I was wrong to blame our hosts. British-army-military should point to the same place as, .com etc., but has onbiously either not ben stored, or has been correctly updated in your network.

12. Sorry to hear that mate - but look on the bright side. At least you can surf arrse without fear of your corporate big brother looking over your shoulder.