cant get on the tinterweb

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by AJ-W, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hewlett Packard G-60
    Windows Vista

right arrsers im sure one of you on her would have had the problem or know how to sort it. My laptop connects to my router and the network locally but it wont connect to the internet, my sisters laptop and my xbox still connect fine, so i tested my laptop on the in laws network and same problem so the problem is definitely with the laptop, I've checked the drivers, and there up to date and after that i was out of ideas,

thanks in advance

2. Are you connecting Wireless or cable. If Wireless check passkey settings, if cable check the ip address is on DHCP rather than manual.
  3. cheers re-stilly

its wireless and still no luck still only local connection,
    i am able to connect with wires not sure if that helps or changes things

4. Connect wit ha cable and see if you can get out that way if you can then it is the wireless set up rather than the router.
  5. connecting with the cable is fine, ive tried connecting to a few other wireless networks aswell and its the same local only no interweb, with other laptops, xboxs connecting fine
  6. From this site:

Have you tried doing this?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
  7. thanks mistersoft,
    but still only local, it may be a job for the money grabbers at PC world.
  8. Not being funny...

Is your wireless button on the laptop switched on?

Sometimes its a little switch on the front or side, sometimes it's one of the function (F) buttons showing a little transmitter type logo.

Just a thought.
  9. My ACER laptop once came very close to a severe beating as it wouldn't connect. But as I was using it from the battery and not plugged into the mains, the power saving settings switched off the wi-fi capability.

I found that in the instructions which (of course) I hadn't read but perhaps should have done. :roll:
  10. msr

msr LE

11. yea its switched on i have made that mistake before and felt like an arrse afterwords, ill just take it to the tech guys at the store and hopefully leave again with a working laptop and a bank balance uneffected......... much
    cheers guys for the help.