Cant decide between two trades

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by BornSlippy, Aug 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i've just sent my RG8's so am waiting for my first interview. Problem is I can't decide which trade to go for...

My first option is to be an Armoured Engineer but I am torn between that and my second option which was recommended to me by the recruitment officer, in the Signals 'Systems communications operator'.

My heart was set on the first option having a more combat focused role 'Combat Engineer' and always being out and about but the second option had much better future prospects and I do like to work with I.T. I told the ACIO it's a tough decision and that I am thinking about it, could I get some input from you guys please? Im really torn between the two!

2. Do what you want to do. Not what someone suggests.

3. Aye but he suggested it and it is a great suggestion. I think the bottom line is that I am very interested in both Careers but am leaning towards the Armoured Engineer because that is what I want and would enjoy more BUT on leaving I would have pretty poor quals whereas in the Sigs I would be snapped up in a jiffy by say BT.

4. Well do that then?!?!

Flip a coin???!

It is solely down to you to make the choice.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

As ex Signals I am slightly biased but you should be thinking of your military career not necessarily what comes after. Enjoy what the Army has to offer, all the warry stuff. If you've got any gumption you'll succeed when you leave for your second career no matter what you do.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

An answer to this may be more simpler than you think. I've interviewed countless SNCOs who have reached a certain point in their career (usually - although not typically - around the 12 yr point) who have got as much out of their present career as they've wanted to and have felt that their options were limited. Consequently, they have sought new challenges in the Army and also about the time when they will finally leave the Army. Personally, I had no problem with this and looked at them as a solidly experienced soldier who was still motivated to stay in the Army and was sensibly looking to the future.

The flip side to this is that there are no guarantees. Soldiers have the right to apply to transfer to another trade but do not have the right to transfer. My suggestion to you is to do the warry stuff and when the time is right, consider transferring to another trade that may give you better options when you decide to leave. Like I said though, nothing is ever guaranteed. As others have said, the choice is ultimately yours and yours alone.

7. The simple option would be to join gods chosen children, armoured engnr is a good trade, however you could consider any of the trades within the corps, they all reep their rewards in life after the army, as well as whilst you are in it.

8. Care to explain why? Not arguing, just curious.