• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Canon EF 24mm 2.8 IS USM

I'm with ND on this - no experience of the lens, but if you can afford it go for an L Series.

Chromatic abberation sounds like a problem with this lens, but can be corrected with software.

While not questioning the L series quality and prime over zoom I wonder what benefits a 24 mm (38mm at 1.6 crop factor) will give you. There are a number of cheaper alternatives and for this I would use the 24mm end of my 24-105 f4 Canon lens or the upper end of a 10 24 Sigma f4 I have.

In my opinion and I am no expert really, other than a 30 1.4 Sigma prime I have for portrait stuff a prime lense may better at mid-long focal length

I wouldn't bother with a 24/2.8 to be honest. If you are looking in that focal range and price bracket, you'd be better off with a 28/1.8 or 35/2. The Sig 30/1.4 is one level up from that and then the wide, fast L lenses (24/1.4 & 35/1.4) are on a different plane entirely.

Thanks, useful as always. I'm now thinking of the 17-40mm L, as it isn't as dear as I thought online. A friend has one, is I can have a play... Will report back.
That is one sweet lens and it has a reputation for being tack sharp. Landscape photographers swear by it and it is extremely useful for other situations like interiors. It was the first L glass I bought and would never want to part with it.

17-40L is a top lens, and it usually comes out of the bag first. I use a 16-35L for landscapes now - lovely lens...

L series lenses are an expensive habit, but they are consistently sharp, properly weather sealed and the glass is amazing.

The non L series lenses, the 24mm included, are still great lenses - and very affordable - but the glass can be inconsistent and they can feel a little lightweight.

I had better start saving. Anyone want to buy a D60 (read my lips, a D60 not a 60D :) ) with a Sigma 70-210 1:4-5.6, 8gb Kingston CF and two brand new batteries and charger? I love this camera - it's built like a tank and is in mint condition, sadly I just don't use it any more...

Latest Threads